Maxwell serial number tables

mrcvs

• 12 years later...

I have a Maxwell, frame serial 355195 (engine serial 356426) This number would show it as a 1922, however, my car in most details looks and describes much more like 1921.

Some details: wood spokes, windshield horns go through upper sheet metal, headlamps not barrel type, headlamp stabilizer on top of lights, suicide doors, 107" w.b. etc. Can someone help me on this?

On 8/13/2023 at 5:25 PM, Berdu said:

I have a Maxwell, frame serial 355195 (engine serial 356426) This number would show it as a 1922, however, my car in most details looks and describes much more like 1921.

Some details: wood spokes, windshield horns go through upper sheet metal, headlamps not barrel type, headlamp stabilizer on top of lights, suicide doors, 107" w.b. etc. Can someone help me on this?

Do you have this list of characteristics?

Howard Dennis

MaxwellSerialNumbers3.JPG.5219af08ef91bd8a8454866d25c9ea3f.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, I had that list and my car definitely fits the 1921 description best of all.

Although my w. b. actually measures 107.5" - does this make it seem like a 1920 !

I do have the two trusses under the rear axle. But none of the 1922 attributes apply to mine.

Yet is the serial number refutable? (I found it under the rad, on the driver end of cross member)

Bernie Dueck

That Maxwell 'Canada' really caught me by surprize! Never occured to me nor had I come across anything suggesting this till now. Now find that Maxwells were produced on Tecumseh Rd. Windsor Ontario from 1916 to 1924. Does anybody have info. about production quantities and serial numbers coming out of this plant? Now I have to remake my homemade aluminum  Detroit plate!

Bernie

• 1 month later...

Bernie,

Recheck your frame number. I suspect that it is likely to be 335195, not 355195. This would make sense as a 1921 car with the engine number being about 20,000 higher than the chassis number. Maxwell did not number their truck engines separately from their car engines, although their 1 ton trucks were separately serial numbered. Consequently, the engine to vehicle number gap increased until truck production ceased.

In 1924-25 the Canadian cars were serial numbered from 900,000 up. They were also the export vehicles to UK, South Africa and Australia (taxation benefit).

• 1 month later...

Hi Maxwellman,

Thank-you so much for responding. I need more contact with Maxwell lovers. Around here (Winnipeg) nobody

has even heard of 'Maxwell' never mind know much about it.

I almost gave up until you wrote! Wow, I'm going to check this out and confirm!

I've redone my identification plate to read the Canadian factory. If this number turns out

I'll gladly redo it again!

Bernie

P1110572.JPG

• Like 1