Buick "Buffalo" Wire Wheel Caps and Wrench

STAYGOLD

Hello,

Curious to know if anyone could help date this set of Buffalo Wire Wheel Caps with Buick tags?

I also have a Buffalo Wire Wheel Wrench.

The wrench and caps don't work together, as they are two different sizes.

Any information would be great.

Thanks for reading.

post-61534-14313856098_thumb.jpg

post-61534-143138560986_thumb.jpg

post-61534-143138560988_thumb.jpg

Ash was an independent manufacturer of wire wheels in the 1920's. The company was sold to Wire Wheel Corp. of Buffalo NY, the maker of "Buffalo" wire wheels. Buffalo simply kept up the manufacture of this the A5 line and sold to the only user, Buick. I do not know when the name was changed. A5 was used as a factory option or aftermarket on Master 6 1925 thru 1928.

A picture of the reverse side of the wrench will show the part number which will yield size and type of wheels it was intended for.

Yes.

If you check in detail, the "Buick"plate is riveted to the cap so any other manufacturer could do it same way with his name on. I fact I saw these wheels only on Buick cars.

1928 parts catalogue refers to "Ash" wheels but the hardware on the 1928 car says "Buffalo W.W. Corp", the same as 3 pieces from your picture.

I believe the red colour is for Master series cars, while the black one for Standard series cars.

I am attaching the picture of the whole set for one wheel + wrench used for A5 wheels.

Nice set anyway, would you consider to sell it?

Josef

post-42602-143138560991_thumb.jpg

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)

I think you are missing the inner cap ,the outer one is left threaded and the inner right threaded , in the photo you can see the tool and how the inner cap looks, the outer cap lock the inner cap.I have this on my 1924 Buick 4cyl.model.I don`t think the wrench you have belongs to this type of hub caps.My inner hub is 4" and the outer is 3 3/8".

(I also have one outer cap that don`t fit my wheel, who are 3 7/8" maybe for a Buick 6cyl.model.)

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138560994_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138560997_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138560998_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138561001_thumb.jpg

Thanks Layden, Josef, and Leif....

I appreciate the information on these - never had ever seen any set of caps like these at all, so I didn't know too much about them.

Didn't even realize that there was one different from the other three in the group of four.

I will check the numbers on the wrench and let you guys know what it is.

Thanks again!

• 11 years later...