Horns' loudness diff's

rjfranken

My early horns suck; the later horns turn heads!

What are the diff's?

I remember hearing a Park Ave. sounding like a boat!

So do my 90's Reattas; loud as anything I want to send!

The 80's horns are '''lighter'''.

Part numbers please.

I want one (two) in my '63 1/2 12V. Beetle. (Ford 80's midnight blue sparkle crank sunroof [64] called Moonshadow)!

WONKC!

Bob

Not sure why there would be a difference. I can't say for sure, but I think all 4 years had the same horn setup. If you want to do it right, find an older (pre 1996) Cadillac with the 4 note horn option. These have 4 separate horns, for those who know music notation, the notes are A, C, D and F. Two are high tones, two are low. These will get some attention, and are not as obnoxious as air horns (though these can certainly be useful).

One thing to note is that the C note horn was no longer made after 1996, AFAIK. Thus, there are no more true four note horns even on Cadillacs. The horns each have a letter marking near the mouth showing which note they are, so if you are at the yard and see and older Deville, or Fleetwood/Brougham (the models most likely to be so equipped) get up under the front fenders and see if all four horns are still there for the picking. On some years and models, they are buried pretty good.

I have a set I picked up for my 91, well before I bought the 88. Now I need to decide if I should get yet another set, or just choose which car gets the 4 note setup. Decisons, decisions...

KDirk

Marck,

Verify the ampacity of the fuse/circuit for the horns to be sure you have the breathing room to add them. On the Cadillacs, the circuit was designed for this from the start. There are two horns standard (one on each side of the car) and with the 4 note option, the two additional horns were wired in parallel with the two standard ones, adding one on each side.

I should add that you should try to get the connector and some harness (several inches worth) with the horns, as some variations had a very strange connector type. Others had a standard .25" quick connect fitting. These are easy to hook up, but the former variety requires a connector I've never seen available to purchase separately. I think it depends on the production year. Older horns (pre-1992?) had the quick connect terminal. Also, remember this was optional equipment for some years/models. You may not find the 2 extra horns on all Cadillacs.

KDirk

Sweet! My grandfather has a '94 Caddy Fleetwood. I think I'll grab those horns. what has to be done to wire 4 horns as opposed to 2?

You don't think your grandfather would miss them? :rolleyes:

Four note horns. Sigh. Another thing to look for. Why would pre-'96 horns be better than later ones?

Also, playing around with compnine a bit, it seems that in 1990 the fellow E-body Eldorado and the Seville did not have a four note horn option (RPO U09). Only the Devilles and Fleetwoods. Seems roughly half of the latter had the option.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Or.....you could put in air horns. :)

My Reatta has triple Fiaam air horns.

If you want attention from other driver's...this will do the trick!

They are many drivers out here in Cali that drive like idiots

and I feel they are very deserving of my air horn blasts from

time to time. :)

Kit