Underhood brace

Guest blue72beetle

Guest blue72beetle

Not sure what you would call this, but the brace that runs from the passenger side strut tower to the front is missing. I need one, with the bolts please.

P5312856.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

Andy,

I don't have a nice one of those but you should get one asap. That part is structural and a convertible needs to be correct. My guess is somebody took it out to change the battery and never put it back in. Be sure to put the brace back on that has a plastic sleeve which I assume is insulation.

Guest blue72beetle

If you don't have a nice one, I can always sandblast and paint a lousy one.

This car does have a bad shimmy between 40-50, and when I saw that was missing I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Guest steveskyhawk

All convertibles suffer from somthing called "cowl shake". Can't say that the loss of rigidity caused by the lack of this brace causes the shimmy but I'd get one on there asap. I have always wondered if severe cowl shake could crack a windshield. With windshield being so expensive I wouldn't want to find out. Years ago I noticed that windshields were often times broken on 55 Chevy drag cars that could pick the front wheels off the ground.

That part is common to all Reatta's You should be able to find one from one of the parts guys on this forum. The Strut does have a plastic sleeve on the battery side due to the battery giving off a gas which will corrode the metal. I have also seen cars with the plastic sleeve on both sides, so I am not sure what is correct. Both of my cars only have the sleeve on the battery side. I would think that you would want to fix the convertible asap as the cowl shake that everyone talks about can cause cracks in the hard plastic parts of the dash cover.

Chuck Kerls

Guest blue72beetle

Boy do I feel stupid. Trying to figure out my ABS light, so I was poking around in the trunk to make sure everything looked good at the ECBM, and I found the brace laying back there. No bolts though, I'll go to the hardware store tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help.