Increase rim size for 60 Adventurer

torry61

Other than the speedo being off, what, if any, other problems will I run into by changing wheel size from 14 to 15"?

You will have to raise your leg another 1/2" to get into the car. Not easy when you get old like me.

Actually, you will really only have a problem if you have two different sizes from side to side.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Fireflite60
Other than the speedo being off, what, if any, other problems will I run into by changing wheel size from 14 to 15"?

I went to 15" with my Fireflite (1960). My speedo hasn`t been working ever on my ownership so that part I can`t comment. Other "problems" not noticed. Going with 15" is also improvment for overall look of the big car...

-jupe-

With 15" wheels you can use smaller diameter tires and keep the same overall size as original. The 1959 tires were probably bigger than anything you can get now anyway.

Larger diameter tires will give a little more ground clearance, throw your speedo off (read low) by giving higher gearing. Good for mileage but not so good for acceleration.

Look up Coker Tire web site, it will give you the dia of the original tires and help match up with new tires the same dia.