Piston rings for Reo T6 engine

Juha Paavo Kaita

Hi!

I have a Reo T6 engine which was used as a stationary engine. Pistons and cylinders look good but the rings are worn out. Now I wonder if there is any place were I could get a fresh set of rings. I need three compression and one oil ring per cylinder. The ring size is 0.12 - 0.14" (3 - 3,5 mm wide) and 3.28" (82 mm) in diameter. I would like to drive with my Reo this coming summer. Last summer I was not able to do that.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

Hi!

Thank you for you replies. That size of piston rings seem impossible to find here in Finland. There is no firm making piston rings here. I have been trying to order new set of pistons from Egge Motor. The promised that pistons should be ready in four weeks. I have phoned them and emailed them but do not get any information in what state my order is. Four weeks has past long ago. I guess normal business rules don´t count in car hobby.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

For piston rings of all sizes and types:

Dave Reed

Otto Gas Engine Works

E-mail: otto@ringspacers.com

Phone: 410-398-7340

E-mail is the best way to get a hold of him as he is not always around to answer the phone.

My Studebaker Light Six has 3-1/8" pistons. He provided a solution to fix my worn out ring lands (correct size hardened ring spacers), he was able to offer me square cut rings, lap joint rings , several options for oversize rings, several types of rings (compression, scraper/compression, oil). He was able to bore the ring IDs for the shallow groove depths in my pistons. Offered up many options.

Very nice guy, extremely knowledable, reasonable prices and willing to spend time with you to share his expertise.

Scott

Hi!

Thank you for you replies. That size of piston rings seem impossible to find here in Finland. There is no firm making piston rings here. I have been trying to order new set of pistons from Egge Motor. The promised that pistons should be ready in four weeks. I have phoned them and emailed them but do not get any information in what state my order is. Four weeks has past long ago. I guess normal business rules don´t count in car hobby.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

Do they have engines in Finland? Are there machine shops that rebuild engines? They must be getting piston rings from somewhere. Possibly Germany or some other country that is closer than California.

You need to find an auto parts dealer or engine rebuilder that can order the rings for you. The manufacturer or wholesaler probably will not have a listing for a REO engine but they can match them up by the measurements.

Guest noncompos

Juha: Sorry to hear about your problems with Egge; they're a long established obsolete parts etc dealer here, and I don't recall seeing any other complaints about them, except for prices on obsolete parts, but that's not unusual in this hobby...

Dave Reed, as Stude Light advised, has an outstanding reputation among collectors/restorers here; if you don't have money invested with Egge, I'd suggest asking him who'd be a reliable piston supplier and relying on his recommendations. Good luck.