Anyone else have this problem?

I have never seen this issue addressed here and never really gave it much thought myself. I guess I always thought it was just a quirk of my 90 TC but my father has the same problem on his 91. The car seems to slowly drain the battery if it's not driven. He has other classics that he stores and he can let them sit for 4-6 months and go in and the battery is as fresh as when he parked it. The TC's seem to last about 6-8 weeks and then the need a charge. Any one else have this issue or ideas of where to start looking for solutions?!?

TIA

MB

There is a small constant drain on the battery for memory electronics. My 1981 Imperial has the same issue. Many owners use the quick-disconnect battery terminals or a trickle charger to keep the battery charged. My 1964 Imperial and Citroens do not have memory electronics so they can go a lot longer if I don't start them regularly. The disadvantage of the disconnect is that your radio needs to be reset and if you have a V-6 TC the automatic transmission takes 10 miles or so to re-remember how you drive and calibrate what it thinks are the appropriate shift points. Not big issues for me.

Guest My TC Toy

MB, Like Larry says, it is not unusual but I guess the amount of drain is up for discussion. I guess it all depends on the strength of your battery. I would assume that if your battery is new it will hold the charge longer and the older it gets, it's holding power shortens. Like any storage device it will not hold a charge forever.

I use my TC only on good days, and unfortunately these days here are not too frequent seeing how I have to work (%8h^). For myself I have a quick disconnect on the positive post and never park the car inside the garage without disconnecting the battery. I look at it as a safety issue: there is no chance of a short, causing a possible fire, if the power source is disconnected. The minor inconvenience of having to find a radio station is just that. It may be overkill, but it is what I have always done.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would put this out there...My mom had trouble with her battery draining all of the time. NOBODY could find the problem. I came home late one night and as I walked past her car, I noticed a small circle of light under the car. It was then that I realized that the trunk light was on and had been on for quite some time. Apparently, the tab that worked the switch was off-kilter a bit and would not turn off the light. You might check that.

Guest My TC Toy

That trunk light problem has occured in some TC's too. The light switch is located in the latch mechanism itself and if it falls out of adjustment you dont find out until you see it or the battery goes low. Definately something to check.