64 Rivi Front end questions

mhnova65

Hi Gents.

New to this forum and Rivi's in general. Purchased my first 64' last October and lurking on this site ever since. Just started to run my hands through her the last few weeks.........boy, I love this car.

A few questions I thought you might be able to help me with:

1. I have the whole front end torn down to the frame rails and motor. Is there any particular way in which to adjust the inner fender well when re-installing them? My radiator body mounts had two thick washers installed between the two rubber mounts and I'm not sure if they are there as shim stock or just part of the set up.

2. When re-installing the front end, would you choose to install the inner fender well first and then mount the fender OR attach the fender well to the fender and install as a complete unit.

3. How do you remove the front springs if the motor is out of the car and not providing counter weight to jack up the lower control arm to compress it? I'd like to take the motor out and roll it out of the garage to sand blast it (and not make a mess) then roll it back in and take the front suspension apart. I was thinking about running a chain around the front crossmember and anchoring it to the floor but I was hoping there was an easier way.

4. Anyone know what a 425 weighs complete? My engine stand is rated for 1000 lbs. and just want to be sure it can handle it.

Thanks for any and all input.

Mark

Hi Gents.

3. How do you remove the front springs if the motor is out of the car and not providing counter weight to jack up the lower control arm to compress it? I'd like to take the motor out and roll it out of the garage to sand blast it (and not make a mess) then roll it back in and take the front suspension apart. I was thinking about running a chain around the front crossmember and anchoring it to the floor but I was hoping there was an easier way.

4. Anyone know what a 425 weighs complete? My engine stand is rated for 1000 lbs. and just want to be sure it can handle it.

Thanks for any and all input.

Mark

3. Use a coil spring compressor if you have or can borrow one. I have heard some styles of spring compressors will not work so be aware of that. I fabricated one from looking at the pic in the shop manual since I could not find one that was designed the same.

I have also used a piece of 4x4 cut to length to span between the top of frame and a suitable strength ceiling joist (assuming you are inside a garage with a ceiling). This allows using the procedure with a jack under the lower control arm and separating ball joint to be used to decompress the spring slowly.

When using any unconventional method to decompress coil springs a certain amount of common sense must be applied or you can get hurt. If you are uncomfortable with this method get the correct spring compressor.

4. You'll be OK with a 1000lb rating. If the stand appears to be built on the flimsey/cheap side, it doesn't hurt to cut a piece of wood for a brace and place it under the crank dampener especially when you get everything bolted on the engine.

Use the force of the spring to help seperate the ball joint (be sure to leave the castle nut on the end) then cut the springs in half with a torch. You`re not going to reinstall the old springs after all that labor, right?

Tom Mooney

• 4 months later...

Again.....playing catch up on my posts tonight.:D

Bill, I went with your recommendation first and added a few items to the front of the car to add weight (see pick)......they included:

2 bags of play sand for my blaster

1 roll of lead sheeting

2 Riviera front tires and wheels from said car

4 tires and wheels off my wifes Scion XB (no, her car was not left on blocks...those are her winter tires:))

Pretty decent amount of weight.....but it still didn't prevent the car from coming off the jack stands when I was compressing the spring with the jack. I figured it might be close enough so I loosened the upper ball joint, wacked it with a hammer and broke the joint lose...as I losened the nut, the spindle followed it. I wasn't going to take the chance having it pop off the jack stands not knowig how much energy was left in the spring once that bolt rolled off the last thread.

Back to square one......took off the "weights", compressed the the spring until it just lifted the frame off the jack stand and then figured a way to get my spring compressor up through the lower control arm. Snugged the compressor just a bit, removed the ball joint nut and lowered the control arm.

i stopped when there was a 2-inch gap between the lower control arm and the jack. i don't feel comfortable unwinding all that loaded up energy on an interal spring compressor as they have been known to twist of the spring coil and let go......ugly.

After losening the compressor till the control arm touched the jack, their was no longer enough energy in the spring to lift the frame off the stands. I removed the compressor and lowered the jack all the way and then pryed the spring out.

I hate spring work.....never liked it and never will. Gut wrenching not knowing what can or will happend with so much stored energy.....especially on a heavy big block car.

When I had my race car (drag), we used to use "trick" springs for the front end to help shoot the front end in the air off the launch to load the back tires for traction. This was achieved by using a smaller gauge coil but you needed more coils. since the springs were longer than stock, you really had to compressed them before you could even get them into the car and start thinking aabout using the jack against the lower control arm.

........i used to do this with a motorcycle helmet on.:D

Mark

post-71637-143138696261_thumb.jpg