4,500 horse Packard engine!!

West Peterson

This is about 3 times more than I've ever read or heard that these PT boat engines could develop. Is this true? Since there were 3 engines per boat, I guess that adds up to the figure this person is giving for one engine.

Would love to have room for something like this. I've seen a nicely restored engine on the back of a trailer that a man takes to shows. Quite a display.

PAIR OF V-12 PACKARD PT BOAT ENGINES 1938 | eBay

According to Robert Neal's wonderfully researched work on the topic, the initial Navy requirement was for 1350 hp PER ENGINE available for emergency use, with a standard output of 1200. This was essentially what the 3M-2500 delivered. The 4M-2500 was a big change, different cam and rocker levers, fork & blade rods instead of articulated, changed carburetion, and much more, it was rated at 1350 std and 1500 hp max, again PER ENGINE.

West, if you don't have a copy of Neal's "Master Motor Builders", perhaps you can get it put on your Xmas list.

Guest Albert

the Packard/ rolls royce engine was the first engine to break 1hp per pound of engine, the engine was 1200 lbs, when the engines where used in the aircraft, they had a one time use emergency use only power boost Water injectio) that may have gotten them to 3000hp,, but the engine was replace before the plane flew again..

Does he really think that one engine would produce that much hp?

West, I guess your question was rhetorical? I think the only way to know what HE really thinks is to ask HIM, the actual facts are pretty clear. As most of us already know and others will learn, about 50% of eBay descriptions are at best, doubtful, and more often than not just plain incorrect.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Guest Darracq

One of these engines appeared at the Beaulieu Autojumble a few years ago. I think it had been used most recently for tractor racing.

t was in running order and was fired up over that weekend, on the hour, most hours, as long as there was a big enough crowd to chuck some cash into a hat for the fuel.

It was later bought by Chris Williams and built into a car on a Bentley chassis. See it here:

Christmas road test: Packard-engined Bentley - Telegraph

Or Google Packard Bentley

Cheers, Dave Aston

the Packard/ rolls royce engine was the first engine to break 1hp per pound of engine, the engine was 1200 lbs, when the engines where used in the aircraft, they had a one time use emergency use only power boost Water injectio) that may have gotten them to 3000hp,, but the engine was replace before the plane flew again..

Albert,

Your post perpetuates an unfortunate misconception regarding the Packard Marine V12 engine, implying that it was related to the Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12 aviation engine. Packard designed and built the V12 marine engines that so capably powered WWII Navy craft, and also set many speed records powering racing boats. Often in groups of 4 in a square configuration, in boats that planed on just two front sponsons, the third point of contact being the propeller/rudder.

Read more here... including specs for those who are still wondering. And if you want more about Packard powered racing boats, just google Gar Wood.

http://www.outlawpulling.com/PDF/Packard%20Marine%20Engine.pdf

• 2 weeks later...