few questions

Guest deathrodder

Guest deathrodder

does any one know what needs to be done to change my 51 packard from 6v to 12v.Is there a kit for it , where would i find a altantor that would fit it . how many custom packards are running round . thanks for reading help would be apretated

No kits. You're pretty much on your own to determine components and mounting. Many have done it for modern AC and sound equipment. There is a general guide book you can buy here Fifth Avenue Internet Garage to help you figure things out. In a nutshell, you will have to change all bulbs and one or two other components, provide resistors or voltage regulators for almost everything else electrical. Things needed are available at several online electrical places. If your Packard has the original 60 year old dried out cloth and rubber wiring loom, that might be one of the first things you should think about checking or changing.

Guest Albert

If you converting to 12v to make it start easier, all you doing is masking other problems, I have the 359ci in my 54 Patrician,, and with the carb set proper, and Ignition in good shape it starts really well, mine has sat all winter outside and it will still start up any time during the winter, even after sitting for months,, the biggest problem i have is the gas getting back up to the carb after sitting

Guest deathrodder

naw mine starts and runs great i mean if you bump the starter shes ready to go i want it 12 v beause i tought it would be easyer to get some of the parts

Guest Albert

if you want you can get 6v to 12 v inverters,, but they only work on - ground ,, flipping the packard from +ground to Neg ground takes a few min.. put the battery in neg ground, connect a jumper from the bat terminal of the regulator,, and jump to the field terminal for a few seconds, then reverse the wires on the ignition coil and you good to go,, the rest of the car does not care, unless you have a soild state vibrator in the radio, the original vibrators will work either way..

I can never understand how this myth keeps getting perpetuated that 12-volt conversions offer solutions to problems. The sole exception may be a wife that demands an A/C installation. Do folks really think that the 50 million (?) 6-volt cars were all unreliable and never started when they were new?

If God grants me another 10 or 15 years, I expect to be reading that folks are converting 12-volts cars to 36 or 42 volts because 12-volt cars never started or were otherwise electrically incompetent.

My advice - convert it back to 6-volt, preserve the originality, and solve whatever issues the 12-volt conversion is masking.

Guest deathrodder

my car has no issues i just wanted a up date for newer radios and stuff but i dont think i going to do it ill just put a 12 v batt in the trnk and hook the newer radio to it

No need to put a 12V batt in the trunk. You can get a 6V to 12V convertor for about $60 on Ebay. The units supply enough amperage to run a AM/FM radio or charge your cell phone and the like. I've been running one in my 38 coupe for about 3 years now- works great.

if you want you can get 6v to 12 v inverters,, but they only work on - ground ,, flipping the packard from +ground to Neg ground takes a few min.. put the battery in neg ground, connect a jumper from the bat terminal of the regulator,, and jump to the field terminal for a few seconds, then reverse the wires on the ignition coil and you good to go,, the rest of the car does not care, unless you have a soild state vibrator in the radio, the original vibrators will work either way..

Just a little FYI: The converters can be had in either 6V neg or pos ground to 12V neg ground. Just state which when ordering.