1938 1939 L-Z air cleaner

Guest Jim Zephyr

Guest Jim Zephyr

what is the correct air cleaner for 1938? pictured is an air cleaner just found - I need one for a 38...is this the correct one? are 38 different from 39? the units in the background are 1940 Lincoln- Zephyr

post-67972-143138524222_thumb.jpg

Jim. You might want to contact James R, Kyle in South Bend, Indiana. Listed in LZOC membership roster as owning a 1938 Conv. sedan. Not too far away from you.

Also, look on page 17 of your 1940 owners manual. Isn't that a picture of the air cleaner you're asking about? Possibly illustrating a 39 or 38 air cleaner) Could there be a similar photo in your 1938 owners manual?

Is that the opening for the air cleaner to manifold tube to fit into in the bottom front of the questioned air cleaner?

Guest Jim Zephyr

Thanks John - yes thats the opening at lower left for the manifold tube. what is very different than 40 is the pressed ridge joint about a half inch from the bottom - 40s are smooth

in this area as you know.

Bwatoe are those all 40 units in your pictures? one of them an oil bath unit?

Guest notnow

38shortop; Antique Auto Battery in Hudson,Ohio makes 8volt and 6/12volt Batteries as well as Original Tar Top batteries. They Have a complete line of "Correct Logo" batteries also ..

THANKS NOTNOW, ITS GOOD TO KNOW WHO SUPPLIES ALL THOSE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BATTERYS. I HAVE BEEN USING 8 VOLT BATTERYS FOR OVER 15 YEARS NOW, ALMOST 12 VOLT STARTING WITHOUT THE THUMP, FIT STRAIGHT IN, DONT HAVE TO ALTER ANYTHING EXCEPT UP THE CHARGE RATE. I SOURCE THEM OUT OF BAKERSFIELD CA. WAS CURIOUS HOW OTHER USERS FOUND THEIR PERFORMANCE. I"VE ONLY HAD 2 PEOPLE NOTICE THEY ARE'NT 6 VOLT, MAY EVEN GET PAST THE JUDGES. MOST OF THOSE AIR FILTERS LOOK PRETTY CLOSE TO 38 MODELS TO ME.

Jim, I am sure the there were two types of air cleaner used in 1938. I have a short top convertible coupe that was built in early January 1938 and it does not have the provision for a breather tube into the intake manifold. The intake manifold does not have the vent hole and carries an "HB" part number indicating that it is a 1937 part. The car was a low mileage original until torn apart some 35 year ago.

Guest Jim Zephyr

Thanks for all the help - only I am more confused than ever! John Murphy sent me a pic of a 1939 Zephyr that might have a correct air cleaner? see picture attached. The owners manuals are not to be trusted in my opinion - they show the same air cleaner for 36 thru 39

(Colin, the main diff would be the tube outlet, my guess?). The 1940 owners manual shows the exact type in the foreground of my first picture - yet most of us do not have this type on our production cars like the manual shows! Also seeing some different tops in the 38-39 vs 40-41 Zephyr units. Wish I was at a GOF right now and could compare cars up close...

post-67972-143138530314_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim Zephyr

just checked the 41 owners manual and it has the type cleaner that are in the background of my first photo. Maybe both were used in 40? Interesting that the replaceable elements match exactly what is pictured pictured in the 40 and 41 manuals - maybe the manuals are quite accurate after all? Note the meshed screen element in 41 vs the "holes drilled" type in 40

Edited by Jim Zephyr (see edit history)