My Daughter's wedding cars....

Guest ozzytom

Guest ozzytom

I bought the 57 Special Riviera last year to use for my daughter's wedding.

here are a few pics....

I managed to arrange a couple of 57 Chevs to provide transport for the bridal party.

It was a great day.

Fantastic weather on the weekend, and the whole day went perfectly.

That's one very proud father pictured with his little girl.

Someone asked me how I felt about losing a daughter....

I replied,

" I haven't lost a daughter. I've gained an accountant! "

The cars were an instantaneous hit with the crowd... especially with the lads.

post-72972-143138515315_thumb.jpg

post-72972-143138515321_thumb.jpg

post-72972-143138515326_thumb.jpg

post-72972-14313851533_thumb.jpg

post-72972-143138515336_thumb.jpg

Edited by ozzytom (see edit history)

Guest gunjeep444

I've been asked by a old teacher buddy to drive his daughter in my Buick in August. He asked if it would be done by then-I hope so!

Guest ozzytom
I've been asked by a old teacher buddy to drive his daughter in my Buick in August. He asked if it would be done by then-I hope so!

I hope you get it finished too.

These ol' full sized classics sure do get some attention when they're on the road.

Guest Kingoftheroad

Very Nice Car !

I've done the parade thing too but, it was the old Chevy pickup they wanted me driving in the parade...

Guest ozzytom
I must echo Thriller's sentiments on this one...

<hr style="" size="1"> Quote: Originally Posted by Thriller viewpost.gif

That's a pretty good reason to purchase a Buick....

With each of the "toys" I've bought over the years, I have always had the approval of the "Minister of Finances".

When I bought the Corvette, I used the strategy of.....

" But honey, we'll spend more quality time together, touring the wineries! ":rolleyes:

When I bought my blue turbo-charged ute (sports truck), it was a simple case of stating the obvious....

" But darling, I couldn't resist it... the colour reminded me of the colour of your eyes! ";)

So how on Earth could she say no when I bought the Buick for our little girl's wedding .... :D

---------------------------------------------------------

On another note....

How does everyone else clean their chrome spoke wheels...

I used a metal polish and a big cheesecloth polish rag to get in and around all the spokes.

Sheesh! Each wheel took me almost an hour to clean up properly.

There MUST be an easier way.

post-72972-143138516502_thumb.jpg

post-72972-143138516507_thumb.jpg

With each of the "toys" I've bought over the years, I have always had the approval of the "Minister of Finances".

I generally do that...the Reatta was a surprise and I fear once it is ready and on the road I won't be allowed to drive it...now it is spring and a '64 Wildcat and '53 Super have just been listed for sale locally and have me tempted...but I'm pretty sure I won't get approval...unless perhaps the lottery comes through tonight.

Guest ozzytom
Buy steel wheels and hubcaps. ;)

I did buy 4 hubcaps off eBay, and they are in good condition....

but I haven't been able to find steel wheels.

15" with the 5" pcd is not easily found in Australia.

I'll keep looking at swap meets.

Hey Thriller!

Did you win that lottery last night?

When I had my wires wheels on I used the soft foam paint brushes to wash inside the spokes and hubs. Problem was they did not last but a few washes. Then I tried one of those sponges for dishes. This sponge was shaped like a medusas head using rectangular foam sponges ( can't think of anyother way to describe it but got it in the grocery store) . This worked well for a season but eventually the head of the brush compressed and the hard plastic was hitting the inside of the hub.

Guest Rob McDonald

Maybe I'm hopelessly biased but doesn't that '57 Bel Air hardtop look kind of tall and stodgy behind Ozzytom's smashing, pearly white Special Riviera? So why do the Chevys get all the danged attention?

TOM, I've got 4 original '57 Buick steel wheels all crated up and ready to ship to you. Now, if you'll just box up those troublesome wire wheels and spinner caps, we'll exchange shipping addresses. Heck, I'll even throw in the wheel covers, if you insist!

Guest ozzytom
Then I tried one of those sponges for dishes. This sponge was shaped like a medusa's head using rectangular foam sponges.

Thanks John...

I'll have a look around at the supermarket and see if I can find one....

Guest ozzytom

TOM, I've got 4 original '57 Buick steel wheels all crated up and ready to ship to you. Now, if you'll just box up those troublesome wire wheels and spinner caps, we'll exchange shipping addresses. Heck, I'll even throw in the wheel covers, if you insist!

Gee Rob, you Canucks are too kind. ;)

That's a nice offer, but I was wanting to use the steel wheels with the bias ply tyres I also have for the car, for use at the Australian Buick Nationals next year in Tasmania.

The Wire wheels are too nice to get rid of, and they'll be used for the hot rod and classic car shows I attend.

Would you seriously like to offload a set of steel wheels ?

If so, let me know. :)

Maybe I'm hopelessly biased but doesn't that '57 Bel Air hardtop look kind of tall and stodgy behind Ozzytom's smashing, pearly white Special Riviera?

So why do the Chevys get all the danged attention?

You're not the only one that thinks that.

I was initially considering a 57 Chev.:eek:

The first time I saw a 57 Buick, I was convinced it was customised with a chopped roof and lowered suspension.

After a bit of research on the net, I found out that that was the factory design cue for Buicks in 1957.

And they had a 364 cube motor vs the 265 in the chev.

That sold me, and I immediately started looking for a 57 Buick.

Methinks the 15" wheels also give the Buick a nicer stance in profile.

But that bright sweep spear running gracefully along the full length on the side.....

Now THAT really does look classy!

It's subtle and elegant, not loud and garish.

Was it Harley Earl who designed the 57 Buick?

Whoever it was did a fantastic job.

I think I've become a Buick tragic.

I'm already starting to think about getting another one....

I really like the look of the early 70 Boat tail Riviera.

The Ausie dollar hit an all time high this week... reached US$1.07.

( It usually sits at around US$0.70c ) so all imports from the US are exceptionally good buying at the moment.

I just haven't got the space for another car though. :(

I was wanting to use the steel wheels with the bias ply tyres I also have for the car, for use at the Australian Buick Nationals next year in Tasmania.

Why Tom?

You know the Aussie Nationals are a driving event so if you have radials on those wire wheels I think I'd leave them on for those skinny little roads in Tasmania.

Guest Rob McDonald

TOM, I'd love to send you my steel wheels (already sprayed Tangerine, sort of). However, that would leave me clanging around on my brake drums, if I ever get my beauty back on the road. I'll have to rescind my offer, so sorry.

There is something about your Model 46R that just screams "custom job", isn't there? It must be the relative rarity of that single-tone white finish. It brings out the best in what I think was the ultimate expression of where Buick styling had been heading since 1949.

In fact, they picked up their own gauntlet again with the boat-tail Rivieras of '71 through '73. Same sweep spear, same radiused rear wheel arches, and the same kicked-back C-pillar from the Senior Series, which leads to an exaggeration of the wrap-around back light (by way of the '63 Stingray coupe).

Harley Earl was working at a very high level in GM management by the mid-Fifties. He was probably a long way from the drawing boards when Buick was honing its supreme styling themes. I have read that much later, Bill Mitchell was instrumental in getting the boat-tail Rivs approved for production. Whether or not he had earlier influenced the look of the 1957 Buick, he was clearly influenced by it a decade later.

Not surprising then, your choice for your next Buick quest - you're channelling Bill Mitchell! (whom I spoke to on the phone once - 'nother story)

Photos: '71 Riviera, '56 Centurion, '57 Roadmaster - Coincidence? I think not.

post-59990-143138521916_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138521919_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138521923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)