Some of you are going to think I am loosing my mind

junkyardjeff

As one that is proud to be a modifier I am thinking about putting a original motor back in my 37 chevy p/u,dont get your hopes up too much as the 5 speed,modern rear end disc brakes are staying. I always heard horror stories about those splash oiler 216s so I went with a 235 but the 235 did not last too long as its has a noise that I thought were worn out rocker arms but is internal on #2 cylinder,I thought I would get more then 10 years and 10,000 miles out of a rebuilt 235 but its not going to happen so I am thinking about trying to find a good running 37 216 to drop in it if the 235 is going to need completely torn down to repair. My dad had a friend who beat the daylights out a 37 sedan back in the 50s and it never gave up and here I was easy on a 235 and it did so I might just try a 216 and see how it does,there is a rebuilt 216 in the buy/sell section but I dont want to go that far just yet..

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

My Dad had a 1937 Sedan when it was about twenty years old and I don't remember him ever having had problems with the 216 motor. I know it had a rebuilt transmission and when I finally got smart ????????? and went to get the car - it was gone! "Too soon old and too late smart"!!! That old Chevy sure had a big back seat. Think that the old splash oiler should work fine.

Edited by Willys77
216 added. (see edit history)

Going to see if I can save the 235 as I really dont want to tear the truck apart to put another motor in it if I dont have to,this weekend I will be installing new valve spriings on the cylinder in question and if it dont fix the problem I will run it this summer and pull the head and drop the pan so I can pop the #2 piston out and see whats going on. Since its been making noises for over 2 years I dont think another summer will hurt it but would be neat to find a decent 37 216 to put in it if the motor is toast,a local machine shop said they used to convert the 216 over to inserts so I would not have to worry about dealing with the shims.

The spit and hope oiled, babbitt bearing Chev motors were notorious for not standing up to high speed use even when new. If you can get a full pressure oiled, insert bearing engine 1953 - 1962 you are better off.

Best of all the early Chev type designs is the GMC six. 270 to 302 cu in on the early ones but the 261 used in GMC and Canadian Pontiac in the fifties and early sixties are easy to find and a great engine. A Pontiac six could stay with a 283 up to 50 MPH due to better power delivery at low RPMS and would be perfect for your pickup truck.

A 261 will bolt right in where a 216 or 235 came out.

Valve springs on the cylinder in question took away most of the rattle so I will be ordering 10 more springs and replace them all,it looks like I wont have to replace the motor and was thinking it could not have been something too serious since the motor had less then 10,000 miles on the rebuild.