1929 buick - trashed - should i buy it?

astroguy

Looking at a 1929 Buick, 4 door, (McLaughlin)? This car has been sitting for 40 years inside and 10 years outside in plastic and a tarp and now, not 3 more years in a semi heated garage. The car is 99% complete but it is also trashed. What was impressive to me was the big 6 cyl OHV engine.

This car is not worth a restoration, much less $$ to buy a restored car and i dont have 10 extra years.. My interest would be making a speedster with what is left. Any ideas, suggestions and resources for this kind of project? The headlights are excellent, the intruments are all there, wood wheels, etc.

Fisher Body Corp.

Job number 8440

body number 7415

Addendum: An update on this 1929 Buick. Having explored a lot of my personal goals and options, i have chosen not to pursue this car. The engine is partly dismantled, the pan was off for who knows how many years. This car is beyond my available restoration years and pocket book. As luck may have it, for about 3 times the price, I found a "similar" condition 29 Buick 4 door with a running engine. The body is in the same state as the first one, trashed. It appears this car is not with the dual side mounted spares.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Edited by astroguy (see edit history)

Easier to to restore a car than to load a pic onto the internet. :-)

What would be available would be the entire body from the windshield back, IF i do decide to buy it. This is almost a complete car, and i would never destroy a good car, but this one is not. Just a big pile of parts. My interest is making a speedster and am interested how this is done and experiences form others. If you have an email, i can send a photo.

If you need a hand with posting photos, there is a thread on the Me and My Buick forum as a sticky. It is pretty easy if you are posting though - there is a Manage attachments section below where you type a reply (you have to be in the Advanced area though, not the quick reply) where you can browse to photos. Alternatively, send some to me via e-mail at derek.thille at ieee.org and I could post them here.

Do you have the cowl tag information? It would tell you what model the car is. 1929 had 3 series and regular and "close-coupled" four doors. Since I have a model 51 McLaughlin-Buick (close coupled), I am intrigued by this car. What part of the world is it? There is a quarterly newsletter available for '29 owners from Bill McLaughlin.