Balancing artillery wheels

Buick Downunder

Hi All

Probably a silly one, but can people please tell me how you go about getting 'wheel wobble' out of an outer rim on my 1925 Standard 25X?

The artillery wheel itseld spins very well, but the outer rim and tyre runs out side to side (in and out). I am aware of the balancing of the wheel on the wedges, but this does not appear to allow for this type of wobble.

I assume that I might need a new rim, or maybe the tyre could be refitted to match better??? Any help appreciated.

I'll have no king pins soon with this shake!

Ben

If I had this problem I would demount the tire, remount the rim and spin the wheel and rim.

If the rim wobbles you need to measure the width of the rim all the way around, about every two inches. This should show you where the rim is sprung. It could be bent out or in. Working cold and with a good heavy hammer work the spread back in or the pinch out. Sometimes a rim gets sprung when a tire has been changed. Either leaving collapsed for a ength of time or collapsing it too far. Not hard to do just fussy.

If the rim dosen't wobble then your problem is either broken cords in the tire or the bead was not seated exactly the same all the way around.

One other possibility. Check how true the inside edge of the felloe runs. Perhaps the wheel has hit an obstical sideways and just bent the part of the felloe that the rim bears against.

By the way balancing the wheel, rim and tire assembly is very easy also. Just loosen the wheel bearing slightly and let the wheel stop turning. The bottom is the heavy spot. If you do this several times and it always stops at the same place you can all two wheel weights one third of the way around from the heavy spot. Of course guessing how much weight is exactly that. You just repeat over and over until the wheel stops at a different place every time. I have always mounted my tires with the serial number opposite the valve stem and have only had to ballance two tires out of eight sets.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Thanks Tinindian. I have found some old literature that tells of a similar way to balance wheels. I'll give this a shot first and see how I go with weights. The tyres are new, and I can see the wobbly on the rim, so I think I might get it without too much trouble :)

I don't have a rim spreader, I guess this is something I need for the next stage.

Guest Mike Hanning

Ben, get rid of the wobble before you go down the balance road as you might find the balance situation corrects itself when you get things running true. It is a waste of time to try and balance a wheel with a runout problem.

Good luck from NZ.

Ben,

(Sometimes a rim gets sprung when a tire has been changed. Either leaving collapsed for a ength of time or collapsing it too far)

I suggest you dismount the tire from the rim and place the bare rim on a flat surface with the rim correctly latched together. Flip it over to see that both sides touch the flat surface all the way around. If not, "tweak it" as the Tinindian suggested until it does...

To get the wheel to run true, set up a pointer similar to a dial indicator on a lathe. Place the point next to the side wall of the tire and spin the wheel.

To adjust the runout, loosen or tighten the lug nuts. I learned this from a tire guy who was in business in 1946.

I would also advise you to make sure that the nuts will screw on the wheel bolts finger tight. If not, dress the threads. If you try to force them on with a wrench, you risk stripping the threads. Wheel bolts are hard to find.

I use graphite grease on the threads to be sure that they do not rust on the bolts. Though you may fear loosing lugs if you do not tighten the bolts down thght, I have only lost one in over 80,000 miles. You can hear loos lugs clicking.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Mark I still have up to 3/8" run out on both front tires. The LHF wore out in a thousand miles and the tread started to 'flair' - the rest of the suspension looks OK. I'll get beck into this run out and see if I can adjust further.

BTW - does anyone recommend a tire pressure that best suits nylon 22" tires? I am running 26 psi.

Thanks

Ben

So, the plalque on the firewall gives the tire inflation. I believe it is somewhere around 45 pounds. I belived that this is necessary to prevent the tire from sliding on the rim on an emergency stop. My experience has been that underinflated tires will slip on the rim and pull your valve stem to one side.

Thanks Fred.

I am now venturing towards a set of new tires (spelt tyres here), as the flat spots are most likely the major problem for wheel wobble. I will take the advice to 'persuade' any runout of the rims at the same time, so this should solve it once and for all. Thanks everyone for clearing up the different measures required to get things right.

Now with regards to tires. I am curently running lester 5.00 X 23" 4 ply. Are these the correct size for a 1925-25x? They seem to be a difficult size to obtain??? Any advice re size and brand experience would be appreciated.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...