gasoline gauge

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

Well nuts. I usually try to do better describing a problem. By way off I mean a full tank registering close to empty to 1/4 - 3/8 of a tank. Bad ground - gauge, sending unit, or either? Thanks, Doug

I would look at the the cork in the tank at the end of the sending unit. most likely it is so deteriated or saturated with heavy fuels it cant do its job any longer.

Guest MidTNDawg
When have I ever been unreasonable ;)

LOL! Never with me. And I still like the float as the possible problem. Doug

Guest Knucklebuster

Has it been reading off since you got the car?

If so it could have been replaced with a different ohm layout sender. Another culprit is the wiper bar/wraps get that same icky tar on them that attacks the float. It can throw the ohms off going to the guage. Same principle as bad ground but harder to find. Crocus and methanol might help.

I like all these mechanic questions, finally get to "act" like I know something hahaha

There has been some discussion on the General or Technical board, about cork carburetor floats and how gasohol washes off the shellac and allows them to get soggy and sink. There was quite a range of opinion on what to coat them with and how to make new ones. Might be worth a look.

I dont know ( or find the search deal on this site useless ) how to find this topic so if someone knows where to find this it would be a big help for me. .....There has been some discussion on the General or Technical board, about cork carburetor floats and how gasohol washes off the shellac and allows them to get soggy and sink.......

In my experience with these old cars I have noticed this as the number one culprit for a gauge not reading correctly, second is an electrical problem, I know nearly ZERO about electrical although I spent some years in the armed forces as a fuel and electrical tech. ( shows you how well our money is being spent )

Jack Crapenter has and prob. still does rebuild the sending units as an option if it comes down to that.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest MidTNDawg

Wow! So I am dealing with a future president and vice president, and someone who currently enjoys the mechanical aspects of our old cars! Fantastic.

KB, glad you like this because I am not close to being through. To the contrary, I am just getting started. Now, am I correct in assuming the float will appear if I remove the unit from the right side of the gas tank?

BTW the gas issue may have to take a back seat 'til I check out the brakes.

Doug

Guest MidTNDawg
The float should appear after wiggling the sending unit out. Be sure to disconnect the battery before removing the sending unit/float.

OK, thanks for the tip. I would have thought having the ignition off would be enough.

Doug

I never know or assume I will not get zapped while working in ANYTHING electrical, so I just do that to be safe. Sometimes there could be a short in the wire or a bare spot and ZZZZZZTTTTTTT!! Fry baby.

Wow! So I am dealing with a future president and vice president, and someone who currently enjoys the mechanical aspects of our old cars!

post-48869-143138510987_thumb.jpg

Guest Knucklebuster

Hey MOE Hey MOE

Just a note, the sending unit is a ground not a positive. The ohms (resistance) flowing to ground is what makes the guage read. I have never seen a spark or anything close to it from the sender but....... nice hot positive wire on the back of the guage will light up like a xmas tree if you touch it to the dash.

Any chance I can be in charge of the DOT or EPA when we get in office?