Windshield

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

I just found Shat-R-Proof

Safety

on my front glass. I do not think this is stock. Is it?

Also one of the large wingnuts used to hold the windshield in position has one of the "wings" broken off. Are replacements available?

Doug

Safety

Also one of the large wingnuts used to hold the windshield in position has one of the "wings" broken off. Are replacements available?

Doug

Does the wingnut look like this?

post-37352-143138506561_thumb.jpg

1927 was the first year as far as I know that safety glass was used in some automobiles windows but it was not used exclusively until 29 in all windows by cadallac division. It was introduced much earlier than that to auto manuf, but they would not bite due to cost. Graham Paige also offered it as an option in late 29 and it became standard on most of their vehicles in 30 but I am not sure of the first year it bacame standard on Dodge Automobiles. Hopefully someone here can tell me. On a sidenote 29 was also the first year electric wiper motors became standard on some vehicles.

The thumbscrew that you show John is what is most often seen on DA ( I have a few that I have removed from parts cars myself ) but it is possibly not correct or original for DA unless it was possibly used in later production. Its one of those things that cant be dissaproved or approved as far as I know but would welcome someone to do that.

The original thumbscrews ( in my opinion and according to the photo in the book of information ) are very hard to come by, they are S shaped and I can post a photo later if it is still wanted. Someone mentioned to me at one point that model T or A used one of these types of thumbscrews but I did not bother yet to look into which one they were reffering to. I may do that later this evening.

They are of course pot-metal and broke easily by using to much force to tighten

Is this style that you show John the style used originally in your 31?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I believe that Model A Ford used the "S" shaped wingnut. The 1931 DB used the straight wingnut. I have seen many earlier DBs with the straight one, but I only know for certain that 1931 used them. All of my factory literature shows the item that I posted a photo of. This is one of the items/features I have studied for years.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest MidTNDawg

This forum is awesome. Thanks for the info from 1930 and Keiser31. My windshied nuts are like the picture except John's appear to be polished and mine are rather dull.

So the windshield may be original?

Jason, as to the differences, NearChoclateTown says he has found no 2 DAs to be exactly alike. Seems to be the case the more I learn as well.

Doug

Might want to reread my post, I stated the windshield was not original. As far as no two DAs being the same that is just an excuse for not restoring the car to its original state. Its easier to throw up your hands and quit than to bother to learn the production differences. Not implying that it is what was meant when that was said.

All of my literature shows a wing nut for the windshield with an S shape but do what you want with that. I will stick with what I know until proven otherwise

That S shape could very well have been used for the earlier DBs. I have no factory photos of the earlier cars. I am only certain that the straight one was originally on the '31s.

post-37352-143138507766_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pic. John, I have no doubt that it is correct for 31 and may very well be incorrect on what is correct for DA.

Would seem strange though that salesamans booklets, instructions manuals ect all show a curved screw, you would have to wonder what they were thinking of as they drew that. I will now have to look thru factory photos and see if I can get a clear shot as you have done.

Guest MidTNDawg

1927 was the first year as far as I know that safety glass was used in some automobiles windows but it was not used exclusively until 29 in all windows by cadallac division. It was introduced much earlier than that to auto manuf, but they would not bite due to cost. Graham Paige also offered it as an option in late 29 and it became standard on most of their vehicles in 30 but I am not sure of the first year it bacame standard on Dodge Automobiles. Hopefully someone here can tell me. On a sidenote 29 was also the first year electric wiper motors became standard on some vehicles.

OK Jason, here is your response on the windshield. I have placed part of it in red. Maybe you will be kind enough to highlight the part where you say it is not original. Thanks, Doug

I see, it was inferred but not clear enough. Sorry fir that. Safety glass in your Dodge is not original but I am unsure when it did become standard.

Often I will write responses and then get about half way and realize I dont sound intelligent enough and will erase and start over again, that is what happened here.

My windshield wingnuts for my '29 DA are the straight variety too....also, I saw several months ago Stutz's version of safety glass from 1927 was just horizontal wires running through all passenger compartment glass...don't know how well it worked, but interesting.

Guest MidTNDawg
Often I will write responses and then get about half way and realize I dont sound intelligent enough and will erase and start over again, that is what happened here.

Jason, no problem from me. It is just I read these posts very carefully and when it seems I have missed something it bothers me. I just wanted you to see why I was left with the thought it may be original.

Doug

I am hoping John will know when they started using safety glass standard, is it in his 31 ect. I bet it was much later.

I am hoping John will know when they started using safety glass standard, is it in his 31 ect. I bet it was much later.

Looks like 1933 is when the "Duplate safety plate" windshield became standard by this parts book.

post-37352-14313850782_thumb.jpg

Did not think of looking there, thanks for that, I will have to look and see when the rest of the glass was switched over as I am curious

Guest Backyardmechanic

Well read this post with great interest.Dough If I were you I,d just keep the safty glass in the car I know what the pro is thinking BUT it could save ones live or face if there were a crash invold.Oh yes on my DA the wingnuts are stright also.

Vern

Well read this post with great interest.Dough If I were you I,d just keep the safty glass in the car I know what the pro is thinking BUT it could save ones live or face if there were a crash invold.Oh yes on my DA the wingnuts are stright also.

Vern

I will echo that big time! One of my 1931 Dodges had plate glass in it and when it broke while being stored I made a vow to never ever put plate glass back in that frame.

Guest MidTNDawg

I agree fellows. I will stay with the safety glass. Think I will go on-line to see if I can find anything on this co.

Doug

Id like to know what the pro is thinking but if it were me I would keep the glass as it is also especially if you plan to drive the car or hope to drive the car often. Whats done is done and technically it does make for a safer ride for you and your loved ones.

I guess I was possibly incorrect on the wing-nuts for the windshield. I thought that the owners manual showed the S shaped but it does not. I thought I had some other literature that showed this as well and still not 100% posative that I dont but I cannot seem to find it. I did find 1 factory photo showing the straight one.

I guess I will have to dig out a pair of straight and put them back on my car for now at least until I find whatever it was that led me to think that Dodge used an S shaped on the DA

Your telling me to double check everything else,:eek: difference between myself and someone else is that I dont charge for what I give, I dont cut corners on what I do just to save a few bucks ( my collection for research ) and when I do make a mistake I not only admit to it but I also correct it.

You are prob. under the impression that I have steered people away from your buisness because of our past dealings, you should stop jumping to conclusions, I have not. Comments like your last one make me wonder why though.

Safety

Doug

So....I do have an extra wingnut if you want one, Doug. Send me your address and I will send you the one you mentioned.

keiser31@charter.net

Mmmmm...just for GP, I looked at a few photos I took from the National DB meet in Keizer, Oregon and there, in Dr. Joe's car (original 1930 DA) are the "straight" wingnuts.

post-37352-143138508757_thumb.jpg

Guest MidTNDawg

I have contacted Shat-R-Proof and will report if I learn anything. I can tell you now they have been in business since 1922 producing safety glass. Doug

"Safety Stutz" featured safety glass in all windows in 1926. This was not like today's safety glass, it had wire mesh embedded in the plate glass window. The only place I have seen this type glass is in a school entry door.

The Safety Stutz, note the ad features safety glass in the first paragraph.

New Safety Stutz - National Geographic Oct. 1926 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Guest Backyardmechanic
Your telling me to double check everything else,:eek: difference between myself and someone else is that I dont charge for what I give, I dont cut corners on what I do just to save a few bucks ( my collection for research ) and when I do make a mistake I not only admit to it but I also correct it.

You are prob. under the impression that I have steered people away from your buisness because of our past dealings, you should stop jumping to conclusions, I have not. Comments like your last one make me wonder why though.

Sorry 1930 But it seems like if one fines an errior then there could be others.

Guest MidTNDawg

Glass co. just responded. The original co. stopped doing business in the 80's. the new co simply bought the name and they have no records. There is another co. I will check with.

Doug