pitman shaft seal

rons49

Can any one tell me if the pitman shaft seal(or packing) on a Cadillac(1950) can be removed without pulling the shaft itself? Maybe with a dental pick or similar, that won't scratch the bushing or shaft ? I have a bit of gear oil leaking as I drive the car.

Can any one tell me if the pitman shaft seal(or packing) on a Cadillac(1950) can be removed without pulling the shaft itself? Maybe with a dental pick or similar, that won't scratch the bushing or shaft ? I have a bit of gear oil leaking as I drive the car.

While I'm no expert on that particular steering box, in general the pitman shaft seal in GM boxes can be replaced without disassembling the box. The service manual usually shows a special Kent Moore tool, but the shadetree way is to drill three or four small holes in the metal part of the shield. Use wheel bearing grease while drilling to catch any chips. Screw a sheet metal screw into each hole and use the screws to extract the seal. Clean, inspect the shaft, and install the new seal using a length of pipe. One trick is to wrap the shaft with a piece of shim stock and force it past the old seal before working on it to protect the shaft.

That's the question, according to my parts book Cadillac did not use a seal until 1953. The book calls for packing. If I use my puller and remove the pitman arm and to my surprise find a seal I could be in for it trying to match a deformed seal. Joe I like your idea, but I hope for packing.

If it is a conventional seal there are special pry tools for pulling them out. Not expensive.

The commercially available pry tools require the pitman shaft to be removed, which is what the OP did not want to do. As I said, GM manuals show special Kent Moore tools that look like inside gear pullers and allow seal removal with the shaft in place, but unless you get lucky on ebay, the term "not expensive" does not apply.

You may be able to pull just the pitman arm, spray brake fluid to clean the inside of the box, and install another seal on top (below as you are looking at it) and put aviation permatex around the perimeter of the new seal if there is room. I did that on my 55 Buick and it hasn't leaked after 10k miles.

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

According to the caddy parts book the 1950 s have a packing installed and I'm thinking that I can either remove it carefully( see Joe Ps shim idea) with a small pick, or just add some more and seat the retainer to crush down the packing. Any way, thanks for your responses.

According to the caddy parts book the 1950 s have a packing installed and I'm thinking that I can either remove it carefully( see Joe Ps shim idea) with a small pick, or just add some more and seat the retainer to crush down the packing. Any way, thanks for your responses.

Is there a gland nut or comparable feature, like a faucet? If so, your idea to add more packing material might be the easiest way out.

if it has power steering remove the retaing ring start the engine turn to lock and the pressure will blow the seal right out , leave the pitarn on that way all the peices will stay in correct order. Have been doing this for yearswith no problems

Interesting point, if I pulled the arm down to as low as it could go without dropping off( after I marked the arm position relative to the shaft), I wonder if I could push more packing under the retainer plate?