Crash Course me on Pre-War Buicks

Guest tylerh860

Guest tylerh860

Hopefully I've made a fortuitous purchase.

Today I pulled the trigger on a '41 Super Club coupe with the dual carb straight 8. It has 54,000 original miles on the number engine, completely original paint and interior. It is in amazing condition and runs and drives beautifully. It has just the perfect amount of patina to look old but still be nice and presentable, which is ideal for me. The car was put up for sale yesterday evening on behalf of the estate of the deceased owner, and I was the first to show up. He bought it to be a reliable driver for touring events and put about 5000 miles on it in the last 10 years or so. Outside of seepage aged rubber I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Comes with the original title to 1941, owners manual, showroom hang tags, and sales brochure.

I had been casually shopping for an antique car but had never owned one. Previously the oldest car I had in my possession is a '69 Saab V4, 76 Mercedes 450SEL 6.9, and a 77 Trans Am. I'm pretty handy and obviously the motor looks fairly straightforward. I've had about 20 vintage Mercedes so that's what I'm most familiar with. I'm also kind of a nut for Buicks an have owned a few.

I did a bit of leaping before really looking, so I'm hoping to get some reassurance and advice from some seasoned pre-war guys here.

What I'd like to know is what (if any) outside of normal maintenance do you do with a pre-war buick? Is there anything I should be watching for with this particular motor? Anything chassis-wise I should inspect? I'm also hoping you guys have some links to good parts suppliers or rebuilders. Should I have any parts failures (such as a brake master cylinder or water pump) it would be nice to know of any good suppliers, rebuilders, or kits.

My plan is to continue to preserve this car to the best of my ability and enjoy it as much as I can. I'm told they're about as reliable as a pre-war car can get. Thanks in advance for the advice and encouragement.

Here's a few photos from the sale ad:

41buick1.jpg

41buick2.jpg

41buick3.jpg

gauge.jpg

41buick4.jpg

Welcome to the world of Buick straight 8's :)

Looks good

You will get a better anwser in Buick - Pre War - AACA Forums

http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/ for parts

Worth joining the Buick Club

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)