Oil Pump Questions 25 DB

MikeC5

I pulled the oil pump tonight and the spring between the two vanes was broken in two. I also found the check valve spring was broken. Anyone know a source for these or something close? Also, my oil pump strainer is in pretty bad shape (rust). Is anyone reproducing these or know of a repair?

One more thing, oil pump clearance- I read in the forum that it should be 0.002 - 0.003 (for a '23) but the gasket I removed measures around 0.009 and it does not appear to be a home made gasket. Should it be different for '25? If I go with the thinner clearance is there a preferred type of oil resistant paper to use?

• 1 year later...

Alright, alright,... I'll take my oil pump relief valve spring out tomorrow and measure it. I have a drawer full of scrapped springs of all types and sizes. Most go to old slot machines and jukeboxes from my business. I have a tone arm gram scale to measure the spring tension of mine & try to match up a new spring. I'm not going to pull my pump out since I just filled the crankcase and almost ready for first start up. I can't remember if I checked the damn spring between the vanes in my pump, but my son told me I had a tiny bit of oil pressure on dash gauge when I was furiously hand cranking engine with the plugs out to help prime the oil system before I start it. If you've got the old, broken VANE spring in your hand, it shouldn't be that hard to match up one very close to it. The gasket used in the oil pump is just the thickness of a SINGLE gasket cut from a sheet of gasket paper you can buy at any auto store. There is no where near enough oil pressure in a hundred years to "blow out" a gasket there in that little pump, especially if it's got a by-pass, (or pressure relief valve), like it does. The one and only important gauge on ANY engine start up is always the oil pressure gauge.

Mike, I don't think it would hurt too much if your oil pump cover gasket is up to .009". The thinner--the better though. I should have said before that not all auto parts store gasket paper is alike. I believe the black paper is the type you want, but I don't recall it being sold as thin as .003" - .004". Fish paper may be a better option.

Well, I have my spring out of the pressure valve and I see that it is a CONICAL spring. Since the body of the valve is conical, I imagine this is the original spring. I found a couple of springs in my collection so far, that seem to have the same pressure, but they aren't conical, also, I can't find my blasted gram scale. If you could see this place, you'd see why.

My problem was that when I removed the oil pump one of the steel flaps fell out. I head it drop into the bucket of oil. No problem - I fished it out. I didn't know there was a spring involved. Well last night I was reading through the Owners Manual and lo and behold it mentions the spring between the flaps. Crap - I didn't see a spring. This morning before the trash went out I went through the rags that I used to cleanup after draining down the oil etc. No sign of a little spring. That's why I posted. I didn't have a spring to match up at the hardware store. Well the story gets better. I decided to strain the oil that I had in a plastic jug to see if the spring was in the oil. A long shot but worth a try. I went to get the bucket that I used to drain into so I could strain into it and there tucked into the corner was a little spring. The bucket had been wiped out with the rags that I threw out. What are the chances of that?? I might go buy a lottery ticket cause I'm feeling pretty lucky.

Did you mean the oil pump or check valve spring Jay? I did also need a replacement for the conical check valve spring (which is a more specialized little beastie) and I was able to get a good used one from Meyers. The check valve spring can't be too strong or oil will not reach the pressure gauge iirc.