spark plug on '63

Guest u571

I think this sounds like a dumb question but is it possible or even practical to remove the front right spark plug on a 401 with a/c without removing the compressor first?

Thanks,Mark:o:confused:

Yes, possible and necessary. Work with a plug socket with a short extension and a universal joint. You end up doing it all by touch because you can't see anything under there.

Be very careful when working in this area of the engine compartment. There is a post on the back side of the alternator that is connected directly to the battery. It is very easy to touch it with the ratchet handle when wrestling with this right front plug.

My dad worked in a Buick garage for many years and told me that he had the best luck with that plug by going after it from inside the wheel well after removing the RF tire.

Of course he had a lift that made it easier, but it could still be done.

I had a '64 Wildcat for a few years while in college and had the local service station tune it up twice. The third time my dad did it for me. He found that there was still a Champion plug in the rf after I'd had the service station replace them twice with AC's. It sure ran a lot better on eight cylinders.

Ed

Thanks Jim, GOT IT! a bit of a P.I.A but less so than many proceedures on my '88 bmw...german over engineering and all that. On to the next challenge!

I agree and to add to that,I wish I had read an old post by Jim Cannon regarding disconnecting the battery before removing the fuse block!Thankfully after some sparks and a little smoke nothing seemed to be hurt except my pride.

I am wondering if a battery disconnect would be a good idea as I have heard about old car fires? Imput from those smarter than me would be welcome

Mark

A battery disconnect is always a good idea with old cars. BUT, you can't get a cheap one.

There are lots of them out there that clamp to the top of the battery post and then the battery cable connects to it. The big green wheel connects and disconnects the battery. If you look at their internal design, they put all of the starter cranking amps though a very small housing. This lowers your cranking amps available to the starter. Get a serious high amp disconnect that will cost you some serious money.

I don't use one on my Riv, but I do on my Model A Ford. The ground cable connects to it and then a short cable runs from the switch to ground. (I like having the clock correct on the RIv when I get in it. :) )

I would just like to know why you put AC plugs back in it. Champion have always out perform ac that I have used. I know everybody will said they like something else, but I have tried this for years, and Champions have always come out on top. I tried cold plugs and they have never worked as good as hot ones. I could tell stores all day about plugs. For me Champions run the best. But one thing about plugs, ACs will last longer on the road. Champions are hell when there well. Thanks for your time.

That was back in 69 when my dad was a Buick mechanic. He always used a/c plugs because that's the way the engines came from the factory.

I think you should start a new thread and ask everyone what kind of plugs they're using and why.

Ed