Bearcat values....

mercer09

I will never be able to own a Mercer raceabout, but it appears the bearcats sell for considerably less. Am wondering what everyones take is on value on the bearcats? Anyone can suggest some high and lows of recent times for early bearcats through the early 20's?

I did see that the fully restored 13 or 14 bearcat that had been found in a storage locker a few years back in Europe recently sold for 310k. That was below it's previous sale price from a couple of years ago. I was very surprised and am wondering if someone didn't get a fantastic deal in this depressed market? Also, if that early bearcat only fetched 310k what would a less expensive bearcat from the 20's be worth in this market?

I am gathering my pennies....

Although I'm a Stutz guy there are those that feel the Mercer was superior to the Stutz and it is reflected in the values presently. However, without apples to apples, i.e. two known from the beginning correct cars coming to market at the same time it is hard to say exactly what the difference is.

Well, I would think it would be hard to find a fully restored Mercer (1913-1914) for much under a mill.

The Stutz was a fully restored original car that sold for 310k. Makes the Stutz look like a bargain to me.

I believe the Mercer was a bit sleeker, but isn't it fact that the Stutz won more races? Also, the Stutz looks like a heavier, sturdier car. Anyway, I certainly didn't expect this board to be so quiet in regard to prices. Thought I would get a few opinions.....

As for comparing the two cars, opinions I've read over the years indicate that the Mercer, being relatively light in its design, is superior in terms of handling and overall responsiveness. I was told by an old-time mechanic here in Houston that, after he had driven a Mercer during an antique car tour, that he would throw rocks at anything else. Personally, I like the Bearcats just fine. The post-1917 Bearcats do sell for a bit less, though one did bring around $275,000 at auction a couple years back, if I remember correctly. In terms of drivability, their steering and clutch are brutal.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had a chance to try a 1916 Bearcat on for size a couple mos. ago, well the collector who hosted us also owns a Mercer Raceabout, a couple years later, so comparison is not entirely fair, although he has them side by side so comparison is inevitable. I have to say the Mercer seems a little more sophistocated and better finished all around, but my choice would be the Stutz. We hope to get invited back in summertime to see them in action, and I will be sure to ask about the strengths and weaknesses of the two cars as he sees them. He also has a Simplex which he did describe as better than either of the other two, not sure if it was just personal preference or maybe due to the greater power.