Zero gain 12 volt battery starting system

b6vt

Does any one have an adverse experience using a auxilliary 12 volt starting system on their v12. I know that if you have everything operating at its peak, that the 6volt starter is just fine--touch the starter button and its running. I'd like some input. Thanks. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Guest HARRILL1

I recently converted a Delcron 12 alternator to 6 volts. Then used the old generator front plate and a donut spacer to mount the alternator.

I have plenty of amps for night driving. I can provide more details if you are interested.

Joe

Worked fine for me. When I finally got the 30 year rested engine to free up, I unhooked the wires to the car from the starter solenoid, ran a separate wire to the ignition resistor under the dash through a 1.2 ohm, 25 watt resistor (50 watt would be better, gets hot), replaced the fuel pump and distributor (had to file points in replacement), hooked up a jar of gas, borrowed a 12 volt battery, hit the starter, and it fired (with no small quantity of smoke, make sure garage is vented). Then I had to drop the gas tank and take to a radiator shop for cleaning. Fortunately I was able to blow out the line from the tank to the engine.

If you want to convert the car to 12 volt, negative ground, you need a voltage dropping circuit to run the stock gages. Build your own or use a 57 ford vibrating reducer. If you keep the stock radio, need to replace all the power supply capacitors with new capacitors hooked up in opposite polarity and a bigger voltage reducer. Then you can get a Ford flathead adapter bracket for a GM 100 amp one wire alternator mount. Wide belt pulleys are available. Need to reverse the wire direction through the ammeter. All new, 12 volt lamp replacement is needed. Might need to consider a separate resistor in the overdrive holding coil supply, but I'm not certain of this.

Abe

The point of this goofy hobby is to fix cars...restore....update some...but put them back in running order.....The v-12 is somewhat of a pain, but the 6 volt syste, is virtually trouble free.

Cars used 6 volt into the 50's...without a lot of issue...If you are reengineering the car..hey thats your business.. but the 6 volt system with a little lovin will work very well...no rigging or uppers or downers needed.

I suppose it depends on how and when you will use your vehicle. I'm old enough to have actually driven 6 volt generator powered cars to school and to work. Winter rush hour stop and go was always problematical. The further you'd go, the dimmer the lights got. You prayed the engine would not stop, for there was no hope of starting again. 6 volt alternator might solve this problem as well as the 12 volt conversion. If you want modern radio, ignition system, air conditioning etc, you are pretty much stuck with an upverter or a 12 volt conversion.

Abe

• 2 weeks later...

Abe, I didn't want to change the whole system over to 12V. I only have added the 12 v system for the starter. I placed the 12 volt battery and case in the trunk and run the battery cable forward along the rocker panel and up into the engine compartment to a solenoid and then to the starter. The starter button I have placed under the dash in a hidden spot. Today I have purchased a fuse to place in the cable to the soleniod to protect that circuit in case of a "trauma" to that cable. I have been assured that as long as I do not engage both starter circuits at the same time no harm can come to the other circuitry .

The 12 v system is not connected to any other circuit thus zero gain.

I PRAY that the above is accurate. I have added a single wire 6v alternator and it works just fine. Glenn Lorei b6vt

If your electrical system is in good condition, 6 volts will work just fine.

My 1941 Continental is a mostly original car with over 84,000 miles. It cranks vigorously and starts almost immediately on the stock electrical system - even after sitting idle for several weeks. The car had an Interstate 6 volt battery in it when I got the car in 2007. (That battery is still in the car and still working).

I installed a new Interstate 6 volt battery in my 1939 Zephyr which solved the slow cranking on that car as well.

Years ago, a friend of mine had a 1955 Thunderbird that had such low compression that it would NOT start on 6 volts. Some previous owned had installed a "12-volt start, 6 volt run" battery in the car. The battery had a relay on the top which apparently placed all 6 cells in series to start and in parallel to run. I have never seen one since then. After having the engine rebuilt, he no longer needed that contraption!

post-31768-14313849664_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Knapp (see edit history)

Guest notnow

Phil;New Castle Battery used to make those 6/12 Batteries,but I think they sold out .. Antique Auto Battery in Hudson Still makes them as far as I know ..I had them make a Lincoln Cased Battery just last year . Was Pricey but it does the job. And it has the Correct Logo on the Case..

Running the starter from a separate 6 volt operated solenoid should work just fine. Just don't mix the wires that connect to the stock solenoid with the aux one. Did you work out how to charge the remote 12-volt battery from your 6 volt alternator? Most of the 6 to 12 upverters I've seen are pretty wimpy, meant for electronic ignition systems and such.

I jumped in the 12 volt battery as I knew it would be years before the car hit the street, and I didn't want to buy a new 6 volt to just sit.

I'm still curious, does anyone operate the stock overdrive with 12 volts? Seems like the holding coil in the OD solenoid would overheat.

Abe

Referring to what Mr Knapp was talking about. You should be able to accomplish the same thing with a series parallel switch. They are quite common but I'm not sure about a 6/12 version. I will do some digging, even if I only satisfy my own curiosity. You would need (2) 6-volt batteries instead of (1) 6 volt and (1) 12 volt. The relay switches the batteries connection between series (12 volt) and parallel (6 volt).

How are charging your 12volt battery? I sell a compact little permanent magnet alternator if you are interested. It only weighs 3 pounds, belt driven, rated @ 12 volt 14 amps. East to mount and somewhat hide.

As always, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Jason

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

jason@aerrebuild.com

www.aerrebuild.com