car cover

Guest My TC Toy

Roger, I purchased a complete car cover for my TC and like most, although it was stated for a TC it was actually a generic poor fitting cover. However I did purchase an different open top cover (the one that covers the passenger compartment and windshield with the top down) from Covercraft that fit perfectly. The down side is that a custom cover costs a lot more. The way I look at it is, the only time I use the complete cover is during winter storage and the car is not accessible then and it does work.

Bob

When I used a car cover on my 91, I used the generic $100 one I had bought for my 67 Barracuda. It was a little long but with a cable tie under the center of the car it worked just fine outside. I did put a moving blanket over the convertible top under the cover just in case the neighborhood cats decided to scratch with claws when they slept on top of it.

• 2 months later...
Guest WRa5300745

I have a number of cars and have purchased numerous car covers over the years including the triple bond one made by Cover Craft. These are all made with a polypropylene felt like material. THEY DO NOT LAST. I have only been satisfied with one and that is Tybond sold by Pep Boys. It is also the only one that is 100% water proof. It fits my '89 16 valve TC with only 21,00 miles very nicely. Don't waste money on the others.

Marvin, Plastics Engineer

Guest Lee_M

you don't need custom, rofly1.

sounds like the tybond one from pep boys, WRa5300745 recommended above, is like the one i purchased from either autozone or advance (i can't recall which) when i lived in butler. you will spend about $100. it's 6+ years old now and looks/works like new.

i tried a cheaper one which was cr@p. you can save a little by purchasing online. try google shopping or ebay. i saw the same one for $70ish. maybe rockauto.com... if the cover costs under $50 there is a reason, and likely because it's junk.

Guest WRa5300745

In the Houston area the Tybond covers are not available at either AutoZone or Advance. They are only available at Pep Boys. They are also available in the U.K. They are marketed by Coverite but made in China. I have them on three cars that are outside four blocks from Galveston Bay. Price either $49.95 or $64.95. I don't remember which. Unfortunately Pep Boys does not show them on their website

Marvin

Hmmm, I think there's a big misconception going on here, there are lots of variables to take into consideration when buying a cover, and some covers are far superior to others in that respect. The variables are: whether the car is being stored indoors or outdoors, where geographically the car is located in the U.S., sun, high winds, cat claws, thieves, rain, snow (and snow loads), nosey looky-loos, local law ordinances, time-intensive cover install/removal, bird poo, dust, splash-up from adjacent water puddles, etc.

Before buying a cover, I always do research, and find the cover that works best in certain situations, regardless of the cost.

Guest My TC Toy

Whew!! I didn't know that buying a car cover was so much work!

But, seriousty, you're right. All covers do not work in all situations and a little research has to be done. Personally, all I needed was a cover for inside heated storage so the cheapest descent cover was OK, for exterior storage only the best and toughest would do, making sure the car finish was protected.

I agree, I have a cheapo "Budge" car cover for my indoor cars, and they work excellent. When I need to store one or two outdoors (and also depending on how long they need to be stored outdoors), I usually put cheap indoor cover on first, then an expensive outdoor cover, then I tie brown plastic work tarps over the top of everything (to prevent water infiltration through the "breatheable" cover, and also to prevent whipping wind that can cause the cover to scuff the paint)...