Carter W-1 or Rodchester B ?

Guest kevin47

Guest kevin47

I have a 1947 Chevrolet w/ 216...and I'm wondering which carburetor is the better choice ? My rebuilt Rodchester seems to stumble a bit @ no load/higher rpm's...I have a fresh rebuilt Carter in hand ...Comments and/or Suggestions Welcome... Are the linkage's compatible?...

Guest De Soto Frank

I believe the Rochester B wasn't introduced until 1949... so the W-1 was probably what was furnished on your '47.

They seem to be a decent carb; Rochester Bs have issues with the bowl / top warping...

I would bet that Carbking will offer a good answer on this...

I ran Chevy 216's & 235"s in '46 thru '58 cars and pickups and all but 1or two had the rochester carbs on them. They were good on either engine. Easy to tune and/or rebuild. I would suggest that you look for a vacuum leak. I can't remember any thing very bad with the carters. Just had more of the rochesters. Mark

My 1936 has a stumble just as you describe, I have changed carburetors 3 times and run a modern holley off a '66 Mustang. I have had the manifold shaved flat and new gaskets. It did not change things at all. If I retard the spark it seems to diminish a lot. It will not stumble under any amount of load, acceleration, or deceleration. I have seen an old ad for an aftermarket damper to be used on the vacuum advance so maybe that could be a factor. I have not seen the device anywhere or would try it. let us know if you have any resolve to your trouble.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

The 1947 Chevrolet would have come from the factory with a Carter W-1 number 574s.

(Opinion, others with have differing opinions): The 1941~1948 Carter W-1's are some of the finest single barrel carburetors to be made anywhere at anytime and at any price. If I were ever going to reproduce a carburetor, this is the one it would be!

And remember the ABC's of carburetion:

(A)lways (B)uy ©arter!

Jon.

Guest kevin47

Thanks for the support karbking...purchased a (1941-1948) Carter W-1 fresh rebuild/flow tested off of ebay for $149...looks brand new...can't wait to try it!...if I don't have any linkage problems! lol