1968 Buick Skylark Help

Guest hunting416

Guest hunting416

I am trying to get some advice. A guy wants to trade me a 1968 Buick Skylark and I really don't know how much its worth. Please let me know what you think its worth so I can figure out what I my options are. Thank you for your time.

Joe68engine

post-73724-143138456137_thumb.jpg

post-73724-143138456143_thumb.jpg

post-73724-143138456147_thumb.jpg

post-73724-143138456152_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

Is it driveable, and by drivable I mean start it up and take it safely down the road with your family in it???

Is the grille missing?

I would say if totally drivable and can safely carry your family and has air $1500 at the very most, if not $500

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

With it being a 4-door sedan, with the 350-2bbl V-8 (probably the "standard V-8" that year), and the two-speed automatic transmission, unfortunately there's not a whole lot of "collectible value" there per se. BUT collectible value does NOT mean it's not worth a reasonable amount of money as a possibly very reliable daily transportation/family second car sort of vehicle. The Buick 350-2bbl engine is a good running and somewhat economical engine on the highway, but with the 2-speed automatic, it's not going to be very quick (or as quick as if it had the THM350 in it) from a dead stop . . . but once running about 30mph, then it should do pretty decent. Still, though, the drivetrain would make it a good "drive-around" car (which is what it appears to have been used for already).

I didn't see anything in the pictures that couldn't be spiffed-up a little . . . rust in and alignment of the rh fender, front bumper "tweaked", missing lh osrv mirror, minor body damage in the rh rr door, missing wheel covers.

Don't be taken in by the "It's a classic!" orientation. It might be old enough to be a "classic", but it's also not in pristine condition, even for a 4-door sedan, so don't put more in it than you feel you can unload it for in the future. Upside is that if you spend a little to make it look better, you might get all of your investment back AND have had something to drive in the mean time.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Jim_Edwards

You didn't mention what you would be trading for what could be a bucket of unknown issues that could cost more to fix than the car is worth.

Might be a fair trade for 25 pounds of only slightly used kitty litter.:D

Jim

Hate to say this about a Buick but that's not more than a $200.00 car. The A/C is inoperative, and a compressor alone will cost you 170- 300 for a rebuilt one. It looks like the drivers side rear fender is hit or rusted. If you can use it while looking for another that needs some of these parts, then it may be fun. The good news is you can park it in any parking lot and not worry about some JackA_ _ hitting you.