Help Wanted/ needed

Ben Bruce aka First Born

Guys and gals, I am asking for your technical help, advice, recall.

I have a '78 Dodge pickup with automatic that may need to be replaced. About a year ago , I read an article in a rodding , restoring , or ??? magazine detailing how to replace a three speed automatic in a MOPOAR with a later four speed with overdrive. I CAN NOT LOCATE that mag. Surpise, suprise.

So, does any one remember that article or dose any one know what is needed for this swap.?? That is all I am proposing to change. This is my daily driver truck.

Thanks

Ben

I suspect that was the article about Keisler, who installs a Chrysler bellhousing on a GM 4L60E transmission. This is a computer controlled installation and includes a controller in the price of the kit. The fact that they won't list prices on their website should be a tip-off, since standalone trans controllers by themselves run over $1,000. I'm guessing you won't get much change back from a $3,000 bill (not counting the custom driveshaft and shift linkage mods).

Info is here:

4-Speed Automatic | Mopar Bare Transmissions | Mopar | Keisler Engineering, Inc | Keisler Engineering - KeislerAuto.com

Guest Jim_Edwards

Since I don't have any Chrysler vehicles I can't say what if any newer Chrysler 4 speed trannys have the same bolt pattern as your engine. If it is the same as newer tranny's there are companies who have made a module which gets passed the computer controlled aspect. I know they are available for newer Ford variations of E4OD type transmissions for application many Ford vehicles that had the C6 and C4 bolt patterns.

I've been looking or a decent mid '70s full size Lincoln with a 460 with the intention of swapping out the C6 for a newer overdrive transmission. However, I do have questions on whether the fuel savings would be great enough to justify the roughly $500 the module costs along with a salvage transmission, which I would be inclined to have it given a going over. before installing. I can see between $2,500 and $3,000 easily! Would have to save 1,000 gallons of gas even at $3.00 a gallon to just get even. That means a lot more driving than I'm likely to do.

Another thing to consider even if the bolt patterns are the same is the transmission to be used going to require hacking on the floor or firewall to get clearance. Fortunately on most Ford vehicles if a C6 was there the new transmissions will fit without hacking into any metal. Drive shaft is yet a different issue as the length of the tranny is different. Transmission swaps/conversions may not be all they seem on the surface!

Thanks, guys.

The article , as I recall, was to swap in a later Mopar., Sure wish I could find it. I believe you are right, Jim, probably not cost effecvtive . But sinse mine will have to be pulled and opened, I wanted to have the option.

The old truck was stolen, and when found, the reverse does not work. Also tore up the stearing colume.

Ben