Can you help me with this old radiator cap ( Photo Attached )

Guest stelarjohnny

Guest stelarjohnny

Hi, found this old antique radiator at a rumage sale for $5 thought it was worth it so i bought it. Not sure what era or even what type of car this came off from, do you recognize the The DUNHAMETER corporation, i cant even find anything on a google search for this. Was wondering what era and what type of vehicle this may have come off from, or anything on this subject to indentify my new peice. Thank you very much

post-71077-143138426661_thumb.jpg

Guest stelarjohnny
Can you post a pocture of the opposite ( back ) side of the cap ? It looks like there is electric wire coming out of the side of the cap. Is that correct ?

Yes that is correct the wire comes out in the front near right wing

post-71077-143138426711_thumb.jpg

Quite a nice find. It is one of the illuminated temperature guages, the only other one known to me being the Boyce "Radio Motometer" Yours appears to be missing a lower portion that attaches to the radiator neck. The cylindrical lugs extending to the sides would be hinge pins to allow the cap to be opned by tilting it if I am not mistaken.

post-54604-143138426759_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
Guest Stonebird

I realize this is an old thread but though I would post what I know in case anyone comes across this like I did. I used to work for the company that made these back in the day. The company name changed over the years from C.A. Dunham to Dunham-Bush to Mepco, originally based in Marshalltown, Iowa. They started and are still in the steam trap business. Dunham-Bush/Mepco was bought and portions sold off. They are no longer located in Marshalltown. Of course these meters have not been made for decades and I don't really have any specific information on them but do remember seeing old engineering drawings in the drawing files. There were some beautiful designs. I wish I would have kept prints of those drawings.