St. Louis '64 Riv - anyone familiar with it?

bepnewt

If no one from the St. Louis area chimes in, I can contact a friend there and perhaps have him check it out. Desirable wheel covers, trunk is finished incorrectly for a "stocker."

It always hard to tell what is hidden underneath new paint; take a magnet with you.

Ed

I have no specific knowledge of this car, but if you're interested in it - I do have an observation regarding the eBay auction.

After watching Riviera auctions on eBay for several years, it appears to me that the successful auctions start out with a low minimum bid (which is initially set by the seller), and not with an opening bid of $5k, $10k, etc. This car currently has 1 bid of $10,000.00. Most likely this is a "shill bid" made by the seller (or someone the seller knows) to create the illusion that the car will be bid up higher. Maybe it will, but I'm guessing it won't and the auction will close with out any more bids. If I were interested in this car, I would wait for the auction to close and then call the seller to negotiate a fair deal. I'm by no means an eBay expert, but this is what I have observed over the years...

OK Bep: Here's just a suggestion. I have seen this thing kicking around for sale for quite some time. If you really want it call the seller and talk to him about it and ask questions that you feel are pertinent. Find out what the seller's absolute bottom line is and if your conversation is to your satisfaction as well as his/her price GO THERE, inspect the vehicle the way you need to and if it meets your expectations, then purchase it. Mitch

BEPNewt,

The guys here are giving you some priceless information, please use it! The seller has a 95.8% rating and seems to be a car/parts jockey. The "bidder" has 4 bid histories, one for this car and 1 for a Plymouth show up on ebay. Not likely a real bidder.

One thing that I would be very careful of is the rebuilt engine with "hardened valve seats"; these have been problematic if not done correctly and will require that the cylinder heads be replaced. Hopefully you can get yours or another trusted set of eyeballs on that car before you commit, there are a ton of really nice 1st generation Rivieras out there, be choosy!

Good Luck,

Tim