Re-drill '54truck hubs/drums to 6 X 6.5"

Pat_n_Pat

Can anyone tell me if a ’54 Chevy ½ ton truck has enough “meat” on the front hubs and brake drums to re-drill lugs to a 6 x 6.5 pattern?

We are building a 1931 Buick Racer to compete in this year’s reincarnation of Great Race. We want to convert the existing mechanical brakes to hydraulics. I have access to a complete ’54 front end. The spring perches, drop, and overall width will work well.

My only concern is that the 19” Buick wheels have a 6 x 6.5 pattern, so hubs and drums would need to be re-drilled to the larger diameter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Sorry I don't know that axle, but most truck related stuff of that era was tough. If you are talking about getting a machinist involved and really doing it right anything can be made to work. I would think the hub should have the current holes filled and pinned first then re-drill your pattern. The drum would concern me more because you don't have as much material to work with. Perhaps a insert could be made along the lines of a wheel spacer. Then the new pattern drilled. I have a very experienced machinist in Wolcott, IN. if that is of any help to you. He has done amazing things for me.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Personally I would question the integrity of the drums regardless of what might be done to fill the original lug holes. Cast iron can be as flaky as a truck load of Pillsbury Pie Crusts and is not likely to take real kindly to being modified fifty 57 years after the fact so to speak. I can easily envision cracks developing between new holes and even filled old holes.

Jim

Personally I would question the integrity of the drums regardless of what might be done to fill the original lug holes. Cast iron can be as flaky as a truck load of Pillsbury Pie Crusts and is not likely to take real kindly to being modified fifty 57 years after the fact so to speak. I can easily envision cracks developing between new holes and even filled old holes.

Jim

Man, I second that view.

I would be using new drums; they are easy to get and inexpensive..

Re-drilling used to be SOP for rodding in the 50's and 60's. Just rotate the hub 30 degrees and drill.

I need to know the diameter of the hub where it bolts to the drum. If it is 7.5" then it is an easy modification. If it is 7.0" or less, I would need to make a decision whether to ring it or mill new hubs.

I have made wheel adapters before (to adapt Ford wire wheels to an Olds rear end). They work OK on a rear axle, but I do not like wheel adapters on the front because they put undue strain on wheel bearings.

The objective is to get to hydraulic brakes; there is at least one 'teen Hudson racer running '50 Chevrolet brakes. Of course, late '40 Ford and Lincoln brakes have been put on early Fords for years. (my '35 Ford that I built in 1959 runs Lincoln front and Oldsmobile rear brakes). I can't use the Ford set-up on the buick because the spring pad locations are not right.

Pat