Stromberg compound carburetor

falco

Hi there,

<O:p</O:p

I’m restore a 1941 Buick 46S with the Stromberg Compound Carburetors.<O:p</O:p

Below the rear Carburetor is a Damper Valve situated.<O:p</O:p

Now has My Damper valve a Valve Body, a Shaft and a offset weight but no valve’s.<O:p</O:p

There is not much information about the Damper valve in Books or the Net.<O:p</O:p

Now I’ve got a picture so I can see how the valve’s look like and how they fit.

I’ve copy the valve’s from a 0.03 sheet Brass.<O:p</O:p

I think the valve’s must have a Air gap for operating the idling system of the rear carburetor but I`m not sure.

Can someone help me with information about this item.<O:p</O:p

Thanks,

Falco

Netherlands

You may be talking about the hot air damper, located in the manifold below the carburetor (I have a '38). Mine is a shaft with damper plate. On one side of the shaft is a counterweight, and on the other is a bi-metallic spring (I think!) It should open the damper when cold, to allow warm air up to the intake manifold. It should close when hot.

If you will be driving in moderate temperatures, its precise function is not too critical.

Jeff

Thanks for your reaction, jeff.

But no, that is not what I mean.

The Damper valve is located just between the rear caburetor and the inlet-manifold.

It has two square valve`s and works automatically on the vacuum from the inlet-manifold.

Falco

Falco, Here are scans from an old Motor's Repair manual I have that go over how to adjust the compound carbs. It starts at the bottom of page 57 (the first file attached, and goes through the first column on page 59 (the 3rd file attached). There's a picture of the damper, and it shows a small gap, but it doesn't say if the dampers are completely closed. However, in the 4th paragraph under the Operating Principle section on page 58, it says the flies are not fitted tightly, which will enable the rear carb's idling system to work. So I think you're right, and the picture backs it up, that there must be a gap in the damper valves when closed.

post-35932-143138401573_thumb.jpg

post-35932-143138401576_thumb.jpg

post-35932-14313840158_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete for your information.

The picture on the second file is the one I`ve got this week.

My thinking is, there must be a Air flow with the valve`s closed to progressing the Idling sysyem in the rear carburetor.

When there is no Air, there is no fuel.

I think, I must find out in practice.

Thanks, Falco

Until just a few months ago I had a complete compound carb setup for the 248 CID engine.. I sold the setup to a fellow in Portland.

Other than the fuel line distribution plumbing, the rest of the assembly appeared to be stock. The carbs were Stomberg Aero's.

I have attached a couple of pix that might be of some value to you...Bill

post-37838-143138412658_thumb.jpg

post-37838-143138412688_thumb.jpg

If you look at wmsteeds photograph. Someone had added a bolt to the valve counter weight so that it will open at a different vacuum setting. The second carb would then kick in at a higher rpm. Was this a fuel saving measure?

Here is a photograph of the damper valve I have. The valve plates fit to the square holes at a slight angle in the direction they will open when there is vacuum. At rest there is no gap for fuel/air to pass.

4363-42-buick-damper-img-4761.jpg

Edited by eric_b_1937
update (see edit history)