Can anyone identify this?

Guest Gary Hearn

Guest Gary Hearn

The following item has us stumped over on the Studebaker Truck Talk Forum. This was found in a 1949 2R5 pickup but we know it is not off that. Does anyone have a clue as to what it might be? The bead of stuff on the outside appears to be some sort of sound deadening.

Thanks!

IMG_5250_1_1_1.jpg

Yeah....what Barry said. Maybe it's a battery box cover. There was a similar item in my 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan. Under the front seat was the battery box and on the top cover was a panel that lifted off to access the battery.

Guest Gary Hearn
Yeah....what Barry said. Maybe it's a battery box cover. There was a similar item in my 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan. Under the front seat was the battery box and on the top cover was a panel that lifted off to access the battery.

I thought about that, but the cover would have to clip onto bars that would need to be removed to get to the battery. Besides, it is only 8" wide, which would mean the battery would need to be smaller to fit in the hole.

I thought about that, but the cover would have to clip onto bars that would need to be removed to get to the battery. Besides, it is only 8" wide, which would mean the battery would need to be smaller to fit in the hole.

That is about the size of the access hole on the top cover of my '36 DB. It was not meant to shove a battery through it. There was a larger "box" cover that lifted off to remove the battery. Similar to this...

post-37352-143138378839_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I'm a little slow on responding but here goes anyway...

"keiser31" had a good thought (and gets an honorable mention for the hand art too! ;) ) with the battery box cover idea. But, it is not a mid '30's battery box top cover . (See photo for comparison).

I am going to stick my neck out here and suggest is is possibly a "service port cover" similar to the one in the attached photo of the '36 Dodge floor pan with its master cylinder / pedal linkage port cover. It IS NOT the same cover (obviously) but the idea may spark some memories out there for a more accurate decision as to what your part may be.

Good luck!

post-67404-143138382522_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138382529_thumb.jpg