License Plate Topper - WWII vintage maybe?

I'm trying to gather some information about a license plate topper I have. It was in my dad's collection of automobilia, and so far I've been unable to find out anything about it, especially what's supposed to go in the middle opening.

To me it looks like it might be roughly WWII vintage. It was suggested that it might have been some sort of military insignia, and that letters or numbers went in the middle as identification. While my dad was in his 20's during WWII, he was never in the service due to a physical handicap, so I don't know.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever seen something similar? Is it military? Maybe used to display ration cards or info? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

-Rich

post-56588-143138374671_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty clean. I believe the space allows for one to add their initials using separate metal tags. There were a couple other toppers made to do this, usually they are not as hard to turn up as the little tags are. Toppers were popular from the mid 30s through the early 50s. Any markings on it?

The gold eagle is very similar to the insignia worn by Navy Captains. With the blank space for additional info I'm thinking it's a license plate attachment used to get into a special parking spot???

Terry

Thanks for the ideas. There're no markings on it anywhere - no patent number, date, or anything at all. I was told by a guy in the Buick club that it could have been used to identify a vehicle as having access to a military base, but he wasn't sure.

Still no idea what's supposed to go in the opening, but I appreciate y'alls comments.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas everyone!!