Starter Motor

BRB62

After cleaning my 62 Electra starter motor I found the end plate was painted red. It looks like the body undercoat but am not sure. It had been overcoated black. Should it be red or black? This colour is only on the end plate as if it was coated seperately and it appears to be from factory.

It should be black. I think you have a replacement starter that got a red end plate. The only way black parts got coated in colors was if there was over spray from the engine getting painted at the factory. Which means that starter, if original should have had green as an over spray. I could be wrong, but pretty sure in 62 that was the engine color.

Guest Silverghost

I agree~

Red paint was often used by generator & starter rebuilders to identify their rebuilt units for their "lifetime" warranty .

We suspect you have a rebuilt starter on your car !

That's OK !

Just re-paint the starter's end !

The warranty I suspect has long since expired !

So, now that I have rebuilt my starter, and painted it black, cast iron gray, should I also now overspray it with engine color? Were the starters painted with the engine when it was assembled and tested, which means they would be the same color as the engine? Trying to find out. thanks.

Not sure of the exact reason for over spray showing up, but it is not necessary for you to spray the starter with engine paint. Your car will not receive any point deductions for "over restoration". Leave it black and you'll be fine.

Don't forget about the overspray on the exhaust manifolds, too. Sure, it'll burn off with run time, but . . .

ALSO, if there were any "heat washers" under the exhaust manifold bolt heads and then the flat metal "locks", be sure to assembly them in the correct sequence on the exhaust manifold.

Enjoy!

NTX5467