Packard Art Story

Steve_Mack_CT

My wife and I stopped into an art gallery over the weekend, and there was a nice framed photo of an enlarged close up of a Packard Goddess of Speed hood ornament in the showroom. As I am looking at it I see that the hood and headlight buckets are tan - like my car. So we get to visiting with the artist and it was in fact our car!

Of course we bought one, kind of cool to see the car used as an artist's subject. He was nice enough to discount after he found out we owned the car! I always say I wish I had a dime for everyone who takes a close up picture of the hood ornament or wheel/tire on this car!

So I guess we have an early Christmas present.

Anyone else got any interesting Packard related art?

• 1 month later...
Guest djcando

I recently acquired a piece of original artwork by an artist named Thomas Hoyne featuring what I believe is a 1931 Packard Phaeton.

In addition to the car there is a picture of Bobby Jones (the golfer) holding a trophy which is indicative of his winning the Grand Slam of Golf (which happened in 1930) as well as a picture of a woman (perhaps Marion Davies who was Wm. Randolph Hearst's mistress and the richest woman in Hollywood in 1931. The house that is pictured may also be her 1st Beverly Hills mansion.

Finally there is a picture of a racing airplane (maybe "the Mystery Plane") one model of which was rumored to have a Packard engine that powered it.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. It may have been artwork for a calendar or poster, but it doesn't look like any of the ads I have seen from that time.

Thanks for your help and interest.

DJ

post-72986-143138413691_thumb.jpg