1989 SUPER CHARGED series ll ?

Guest NEMO

I got this car, And the motor will not behave, Blows out the fuel hoses ?. I did the line the inner part with a copper inner tube and that seamed to work. No fuel spouts. The fuel pump is upgraded to the the 1990 plastic feed lines. And the fuel pump was changed to the 1990. I would like to know if there is any thing that this car should be able to do?

The engine, series ll super charged,I am not positive of the year, a 1995 or 1996 I was told it came from an Oldmobile 88.It is installed in the 1989 with a sunroof, running strong, crt working. I replaced the fuel pump from a 1990 reatta, with the plastic fuel lines,and the fuel filter.The 1989 reatta has steel lines with the threaded lines to the filter.I do not know how to tell if it is the L36 or L76 or what the Eaton Generation 3 M90 looks like . I have never owned a supercharged car,and have no information. The engine has two belts, one for the super charger and one for the accessories. The tranny ? all I know is that it works,and locks up as normal. Right now I am replacing all the brakes flushing the lines bleeding the system.

The car is going back on the road next month.

Are the fuel injectors in the head or the intake manifold? The larger supercharger required them to be moved the cylinder head. L36 is the naturally aspirated engine, L79 is the s/c. If it is a 1995 engine, it should be a Series I and OBD1. I believe the Series II arrived in 1996.

That's another experiment. I desired to soften the throttle response when turbocharged so I increased the size of the intake plenum. I cut the top off of the stock manifold at the top of the runners and welded on a sheet aluminum enclosure with a removeable top. Approximately doubled the plenum volume. The other possibility is to add intercooler coils inside the plenum for the turbo. Works just fine in n/a form as it is at this time. That small red hose behind the alternator connects both valve covers together and the air inlet tube for the pcv system is now a wye connection welded together from stock pieces.

Not sure I understand completely either, but my conjecture was the greater volume would pressurize a little slower. Maybe a little easier on the transaxle? It looks different too. Probably about the same volume as a tuned port manifold but those take up a lot of the room with long curved runners inside. Sort of a strange design with a slanted entry into the runner rather than a squared off runner with a bellmouth like a conventional ram style manifold. Probably broadens the area where it is tuned, rather than a specific rpm?

The constant flow FI used by Chevvy (1957-1965) and Pontiac (1957-58) had compromises to fit under a Corvette hood (Pontiac "turkey roaster" went in a different direction). From 57-62 the Plenium was similar in size and design to the one on a 88-90 3800. 63-65 the plenium was much wider and had a bolt on top (why this reminded me of it). I have a couple of raw castings left from my FI daze and the runners are relatively short, ending at the bottom of the plenium.

The purpose is to smooth the pulses and try to achieve laminar flow through the throttle body. Back in the day we would open the throttle body up from 2" to 2.329" diameter which nearly doubled the flow (& required lots of epoxy to fill the voids in the castings). This required use of nozzles rejected by DDA for too high flow to make up for the reduced signal. Coupled with 2.02 angle plug heads and a "special" solid lifter Z-28 cam & a lot of big blocks were surprised.

Padgett: Ahh so! That does make sense and maybe helps explain why I seem to need bigger injectors on an otherwise stock engine. I never did figure out why the MAF bounces around 2-3 gr/sec at a steady 60mph cruise but if I locate the MAF further upstream (away from the plenum) the same cruise speed shows a variation of .2-.3 gr/sec, about 1/10 the variation? I conjectured the ECM saw that large variation as a call for more power and tried to richen things up? I appreciate the insight.

Pulses are why a single 2" throat was enough for a 327 while it took triple 2" SUs for s 3.8 Jag and 8: 48mm throats for a V-8. Until you have more than six cyl with more than 120 degree duration, one throat will satify them all. Same-same a single exhaust will handle up to six mildly warm cyl (of course odd-fire makes everything go whoppyjawed).

I never thought to apologize for hijacking the the O.P.'s thread, but I do so now. As long as I ran so far off topic, can anyone tell me what their MAF readings do at a steady highway cruise speed? Does it move around and by what amount? Maybe my operation is "normal"?