Fog and Auxiliary Lamps

dep5

While trying to determine the OEM foglights for 1947 Packard I came across this website which contains interesting information on a wide range of lamps.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/VA_Motor_Vehicle_Approved_Equipment_List/02_Auxiliary_Lamp.pdf

sample

Cat’s Eye

#5627 (amber)

#6006 (amber)

#7007 (amber)

#7500 (amber)

#9000 (amber)

Fog #112 (clear, sealed)

Fog #112A (amber, sealed)

Now if VSP would just handle those who burn their high-wattage fog lamps ALL THE TIME, no matter the weather, I'd take their recommendations and approvals a little more seriously.

Some of these SFB drivers apparently don't know or don't care that their fog lamps are just as bright as their high beams, and half the time are poorly aimed. So even if they dim their lights, when the fog lamps come one with the low beams, they're still blinding oncoming traffic.

I meet a Ford service-body truck on the way to work every morning. The fog lamps are ALWAYS on, and I expect they are 75-100 watt bulbs. Big square bulbs in the front license plate area so I know they're aftermarket. He gets my high-beams right back in his face every time I meet him, and he still won't turn them off.

Probably a good thing I'm not LE, because fog lamps and failure to dim high-beams are pet peeves.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Now if VSP would just handle those who burn their high-wattage fog lamps ALL THE TIME, no matter the weather, I'd take their recommendations and approvals a little more seriously.

Some of these SFB drivers apparently don't know or don't care that their fog lamps are just as bright as their high beams, and half the time are poorly aimed. So even if they dim their lights, when the fog lamps come one with the low beams, they're still blinding oncoming traffic.

I meet a Ford service-body truck on the way to work every morning. The fog lamps are ALWAYS on, and I expect they are 75-100 watt bulbs. Big square bulbs in the front license plate area so I know they're aftermarket. He gets my high-beams right back in his face every time I meet him, and he still won't turn them off.

Probably a good thing I'm not LE, because fog lamps and failure to dim high-beams are pet peeves.

I'm 100% with you on this. These are the same kind of idiots that think they can see better in a foggy condition with their brights on. No matter how bright they are fog lamps are not worth a flip in fog if aimed high enough to reach the same distance as even low beams. They are also not worth a flip if a "cold" light and not a "warm" light.

Of course many idiots think because they have fog lamps turned on it's just ducky to drive the same speed as if there was no fog.

Jim

True "Fog" lights should have a FLAT-TOPPED BEAM PATTERN, as determined by both the reflector and the lens.

Properly aimed, the flat-top pattern will be lower than, or equal to the height of the lens itself, so that the light reflected by the fog/water droplets will not be reflected back into the driver's eyes. These lights should also be mounted as low as is practical. This is why the guys and gals driving big rigs seem to be driving faster than the cars -- they really can see a little bit better.

When the beam is mis-adjusted, and aimed too high, not only does it blind on-coming drivers, but is of LESS THAN NO USE to the driver.

Y'all are right about folks just not understanding the proper use of fog lights.

Years ago, when our grandson was an infant, and our daughter was driving the 26 mile bridge over Lake Pontchartrain in the winter fog, I sold her Plymouth TC-3?/(Horizon-derived?), and bought a good used Volvo 740GLE. Besides properly-aimed Cibie-brand Fog Lights, this car had a button on the dash to light up a REAR-FOG TAIL LIGHT. This gave a better chance that the person coming up too fast from behind might actually see that she was ahead of them. The thought of getting rear-ended in the fog on a bridge with no shoulder-lane is a disaster, waiting to happen.

We do use the fog lights on our tow vehicles, but only when and where they are actually of use --- in the fog, mist, or rain - and keep them properly aimed. This is another reason to use an equalizer-hitch when towing so that headlights and fog lights are not aimed toward Mars and Venus - or other drivers.

Hello??

I only posted the link because it listed lamp manufacturers and part numbers.

Sorry I bothered . . and YES I hate being blinded at night by oncoming bright lights.