Whats the Buick worth

oscar

Hello

I just had a call from a person with a 1940 buick coupe 2dr no back seat. Straight 8 3sp said the car ran when he bought it 4or5 yrs ago. He was going to hotrod it. he removed the wiring and started to take car apart. the only thing he threw away was the seat. says every thing is there. he bought some floor panels for it. The car is about 6hrs oneway.in the out pictures the body looks solid.The lowest he would go price wise was $1,600. . So I'd have about $2,000 in everything. So is it worth the chance and a 12 + hr round trip or should i walk away. He has not removed the engine or trans or the doors. just looking for a little feed back.

Thanks

Oscar

Guest Jim_Edwards

You didn't mention which 2dr coupe (business or sport) it is and that can make a dramatic difference in restored value. With that said if the frame is okay and the biggest rust problem is the floors $1,600 might be the bargain of the Century. The '40 Buicks are among the few cars you can chunk a bunch of restoration money into and still come out ahead of the game. Basically a no brainer if you have the resources to restore to more than just a driver.

Jim

Sport coupe has a back seat; business coupe does not. Must be a business coupe since you said no back seat. Selling price depends on how much he took apart. If he took out the wiring, then the headliner is probably gone or ruined, the dashboard is probably out, engine is not going to run any time soon. I think my biggest gripe with these so-called hot-rodders is so many of them tear a car apart, ruin it for everybody else, then quit in the middle of the project and expect someone to bail them out. Sorry, but I have seen this sort of thing so many times to a nice original car, that I have absolutely no sympathy for the people who get it done halfway and then quit. I wouldn't offer the guy a dime over $900, and I think he will be lucky to get that, because you can't drive the car, you can't hear it run, you have no idea whether the clutch or transmission are any good, and as someone said above, you are going to take at least a $1500 hit right away just to get a new wiring harness.

Sorry, but I'm still in a bad mood because I drove 250 miles with tools and cash on Saturday to a salvage yard that has a couple of hundred 1940s and 1950s cars, only to be told when I got there that they are all sold and no one can buy anything. They are all going to be crushed. At some point, there just aren't going to be any more of these unmolested old cars left. The hot-rodders and the crushers are going to get them all.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Oscar, a sport coupe, I believe, will have a rear seat. The business coupe does not. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

But you did not say which series. Roadmaster, Super, Century, Special.?? That will make a difference in final value. But having said that, I agree with Jim. A real bargain if condition is as stated. And if you are going for "just a driver", rewiring is not as expensive as Bill stated. Perhaps for a show car. My 2cents.

Pics??

Ben

Hello

At this time my work will not allow me the time to go look at the buick. I have called and asked for more pictures. When i have the pictures i will post them.

Thank You so much for all the replies and very good information. I will go to the

" intoduce your self thread " and introduce myself.

Thank You

Oscar