HELP! 56 Dash Pad Removal?

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

I was trying to take off the dash pad on my 56. I had read about it here, I removed the metal trim pieces on top, the small screws under the lip of the pad and the 5 bolts up by the windshield. I can't get it loose. I noticed the chrome air vent area moves when I yank on the dash. Are there some bolts underneath? Appreciate any advice.

Ummm, it should be an easy job, don't forget the screw at each end of the dash top at the door opening, also I think you need to remove the interior light and switch above the radio.

Koala

Not sure when in it's life it happened but my 55 had a small bead of weld on both sides right at the ends. I had to grind through it with a cut off wheel and then the dash top came right off.

Not to say your 56 has anything like that but something to look for.

Good luck,

Rich

Yes the whole dash will appear loose when you take the top off because there is only a couple of other screws at the bottom left holding it in place.

Koala

Guest NikeAjax

Jerry, did you take the trim off the window too? Try pulling it backward, straight back: as I recall mine seems to "hang up" every time as well and have to "ape" it out. Also the map light may be hanging up. Sorry if any of this is redundant!

Jaybird

Guest gunjeep444

Okay, I'll go whack it with my rubber hammer some. Having problems with the one inside vertical trim piece on the driver's side. Got the screws out, even the little ones, but it does not want to come off. Got the one on the other side.

thanks, Jerry

Jerry, did you take the trim off the window too? Try pulling it backward, straight back: as I recall mine seems to "hang up" every time as well and have to "ape" it out. Also the map light may be hanging up. Sorry if any of this is redundant!

Jaybird

"ape" as in gorilla...

Guest gunjeep444

I'll try it tomorrow. Took the day off of Buick and cleaned up gardens(fab fall here!) and ran some trains on my backyard layout.

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks Leif, and guys. I finally got it off, now the dash seems pretty loose, guess that is how it is supposed to be?

NOW, I want to pull the radio, not sure how the knobs come off? Bolts are out down on the bottom, so once the knobs are off I can unblolt it from the dash and pull it out. I see, on the knobs, a small slot, is there a screw in there? I'll go look again, just wanted you to know I got it out with you guy's help! Appreciate it!

There's no screw in there, that is where the knob screws go. The slot is to prevent the knobs from spinning on the shafts. You just loosen the two nuts. Then you loosen two bolts on the lower radio case under the dash. Remove the antenna lead and lightbulb, and then jimmy the radio out. It's pretty self explanatory once you are all squinshed under the dash with your back bending the wrong way over the trans hump...

Guest gunjeep444

I got the radio, found the wires/antenna had been cut, once I got that spliced, it works! Now on to the speedometer. I got the cd today with the speedometer data on it. Any hints on getting the speedometer out? Dash pad is off!

Guest NikeAjax

Jerry, BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU TAKE OUT THE TEMP GAUGE: the tube that goes to it will crack very easily! I'd make some numbers on tape and tape one to the wire, and the other to the post that it goes to: this will save you lots of time, exactly like when you're testing vacuum tubes.

Let me think of more stuff...

Jaybird