Packing nuts and distributors available?

Guest SteveInColorado

Guest SteveInColorado

Hi all-

Got the beast ('17 Buick) running fairly well, but I still have some issues. The water pump continues to leak, and likes to play games with me. I noticed the rear nut is bulged out a fair amount, and allows the packing to squish out a little. I'd like to replace it if anyone knows a supplier. Is it something I could get from a modern pump supplier?

The other thing I'm fighting is the distributor. I don't know if the cap is original, but it doesn't fit all that well. I can move it side to side, but not front to back. I suspect it IS original, and has wear from time. The tray the cap mounts on is also a problem, and tilts around on the shaft housing. Does anyone make a replacement distributor?

Thanks,

Steve.

Edited by SteveInColorado (see edit history)

Got the beast running fairly well, but I still have some issues. The water pump continues to leak, and likes to play games with me....
Going by you other posts the beast a 1917 Buick.

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/whole-pile-new-questions-17-buick-290281.html

Good luck with it :)

Hi all-

Got the beast ('17 Buick) running fairly well, but I still have some issues. The water pump continues to leak, and likes to play games with me. I noticed the rear nut is bulged out a fair amount, and allows the packing to squish out a little. I'd like to replace it if anyone knows a supplier. Is it something I could get from a modern pump supplier?

The other thing I'm fighting is the distributor. I don't know if the cap is original, but it doesn't fit all that well. I can move it side to side, but not front to back. I suspect it IS original, and has wear from time. The tray the cap mounts on is also a problem, and tilts around on the shaft housing. Does anyone make a replacement distributor?

Thanks,

Steve.

If you scroll over to the Plymouth forum, there is a post there about packing rope for water pumps. I believe the guy said he got the graphite rope from the Grange.

"30U water pump packing size" is the post

The Grainger part number is "4VLH7". It is 3/16 graphite inpregnated rope in a 5ft lenth made by Palmetto Packings. Fit like a glove. Mine had four rows of packing so I put four back in but I think I could have gotten away with three as four was hard to get the nut back on. I noticed if you tighten the nut after each row a little bit to cinch it in there it works pretty good.