1979 Buick Century T-Top...anyone ever seen one before?

Guest Kai One

Guest Kai One

Im just trying to see if anyone has every come across these, my grandmother has her 1979 Century T-Top 2 door that im trying to find any information i can on, she bought it brand new from a dealership in Hawaii back then. It seems ultra rare as im unable to find any information on them anywhere. Hers is red with a white top. She said that there were only 17 of them made because it ended up being too expensive for buick to make at the time, im just trying to find any information i can on them. I really appreciate any info anyone has on them, thanks a bunch,

Kyle

Im just trying to see if anyone has every come across these, my grandmother has her 1979 Century T-Top 2 door that im trying to find any information i can on, she bought it brand new from a dealership in Hawaii back then. It seems ultra rare as im unable to find any information on them anywhere. Hers is red with a white top. She said that there were only 17 of them made because it ended up being too expensive for buick to make at the time, im just trying to find any information i can on them. I really appreciate any info anyone has on them, thanks a bunch,

Kyle

The T-tops were a popular aftermarket installation at the time, often by the dealer. The "one of 17" is meaningless without factory documentation. I've heard lots of "one of..." stories over the years and they either turned out to be one-of-a-lot or one-of-none.

I've seen notchback roof versions, but never on the buttless bodystyle. All my Standard Catalog of Oldsmobile references is that the "removable glass panel roof" was a $655 option on Cutlass. It does not break it down to notchback/ slantback bodies.

The easiest way I've seen to determine a factory vs aftermarket installation is to look at the framing. If there are separate frames for each side with a factory roof section between, it's generally factory. If the frame encompasses both glass panels and has an aluminum spine that is made into the framing in between the panels, it's guaranteed to be aftermarket.

• 2 years later...