33 Buick Generator Problem

pint4

I have a 1933 Buick and decided to add an electric fuel pump. The problem is I don't have enough output from my generator when the pump is on and the lights are on at night. My battery is slowly discharging. I am told I can adust the output on the generator but I am a novice and would need some very detailed instructions as to how to do it. A few pictures would help also. Can anyone assist me with what I need to do? I spent $107 on the electric fuel pump and would like to avoid buying another if I can increase the output with my current generator. The car runs great.

Thanks,

Bob

I agree with Mark. Use the electric fuel pump at startup after the car has not been run for several weeks. It will fill the fuel system without having to crank the engine. shut the electric fuel pump off once the car is running and let the mechanical pump do its job.

Increasing the generator output will overcharge the battey, a serious problem. The adjustment does not increase amperage, but does increase the voltage output. Higher candlepower than spec headlight bulbs and or tripp lights will put a drain on the batter also. Using a higher amperage, deep cycle battery can increase your night driving time as you run off the battery.

Bob

Guest Silverghost

As others have stated above~

There is no real fix to this problem.

The generator Amperage output is the real issue; not voltage.

Your old stock generator has it's limits .

Raising the voltage will give you no more amperage output ; and will shorten your lamp bulb's life !

An electric fuel Pump is only a Band-Aid fix approach !

I don't have a 1933 Buick, but I don't think the electric fuel pump should be drawing enough power to drain your battery. It seems to me and I might get crucified for my response, but I would think it is more the lights drawing the excessive power. I assume you have a third brush generator and don't see any harm in increasing the output for night driving, however if you leave the output high without the using the lights you might overcharge your battery. Adjusting the brush should be relatively simple and could be done as needed.

We have toured our 1934 Buick model 57 since 1995, and also tour our '37 Roadmaster.

The above advice is correct and thorough.

Use your electric pump to pre-fill the system before starting, and also to overcome intermittant vapor lock. Anything more than that means your mechanical pump needs a rebuild. You might also consider moving the fuel line from near the exhaust system if not showing the car. On the '37, we also added a filter just ahead of the carb, with a pypass kline to return fuel to a nipple on the fuel filler neck, further decreasing the time fuel sits still in the area above a hot engine to reduce vapor lock. You should have less chance of vapor lock at night when using the lights. You should not have to use an electric pump all of the time.

post-54863-143138333957_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138333976_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138333977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
Big thumbs and small keys (see edit history)