Rim spreaders

stev1955

John my hope is to find someone locally here in the Lehigh Valley PA area to do the mounting of my new tires for me. Getting the rim spreader and then actually having to use it is my last resort. I've read through some of the previous posts about these rim spreaders and it appears there is a nack to it. Lots of warnings, and some talk of other ways to change tires on demountable rims. But I wish there was a video somewhere. Any way appreciate your warning and I really don't want to do it myself unless i have to.

Your rims look to be like mine for my 1931 Dodge. If they are like mine, it takes a different tool than a rim spreader. Have you removed the rim from the wheel, yet? Does it look like mine? If so, you will need the pictured tool. In the last photo, you will see by turning the wrench counter-clockwise, the rim expands.

post-37352-143138332239_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138332242_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138332251_thumb.jpg

Hey keiser31, if the attached picture looks like your rims when latched then I'm glad you saw this thread. That looks like the tool I need. What is the name of the tool so I'll know what to look for? I'm learning here as this is my first antique car and I just got in April. Thanks.

post-70600-143138332462_thumb.jpg

Hey keiser31, if the attached picture looks like your rims when latched then I'm glad you saw this thread. That looks like the tool I need. What is the name of the tool so I'll know what to look for? I'm learning here as this is my first antique car and I just got in April. Thanks.

It sure looks like my rim. I may have an extra rim/lugnut wrench for these around here. I will look tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
John my hope is to find someone locally here in the Lehigh Valley PA area to do the mounting of my new tires for me. Getting the rim spreader and then actually having to use it is my last resort. I've read through some of the previous posts about these rim spreaders and it appears there is a nack to it. Lots of warnings, and some talk of other ways to change tires on demountable rims. But I wish there was a video somewhere. Any way appreciate your warning and I really don't want to do it myself unless i have to.

Hmmm....maybe I should do a video on this type of rim. Oh...wait....now YOU can! And for you guys out there...the "three legged" rim tool would not have worked on this type of rim.

Guest De Soto Frank

interesting rim...

I have a couple of the three-legged rim tools, and the term "spreader" seems contradictory to what they actually do: they grab the split-rim at three equidistant points, and contract it INWARDS to release the tire casing; don't know that mine would actually make the rim expand...

Perhaps "rim-jack" is a more accurate term ?

( whoops, better go put my flame-suit on... :rolleyes: )

interesting rim...

I have a couple of the three-legged rim tools, and the term "spreader" seems contradictory to what they actually do: they grab the split-rim at three equidistant points, and contract it INWARDS to release the tire casing; don't know that mine would actually make the rim expand...

Perhaps "rim-jack" is a more accurate term ?

( whoops, better go put my flame-suit on... :rolleyes: )

Most of the three legged rim spreaders are reversible. Where the "claws" are, there are usually butt ends opposite so as to "push" the rim back together which is essentially "spreading" the rim. You can see the butt ends or flat areas that push the rim on this spreader...

post-37352-143138348481_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank

That looks very much like the ones I have; can't say that I'd have a lot of confidence in this thing staying put when used to actually "spread" the rim...

I think I'm glad none of my cars have this sort of rim... :rolleyes:

That looks very much like the ones I have; can't say that I'd have a lot of confidence in this thing staying put when used to actually "spread" the rim...

I think I'm glad none of my cars have this sort of rim... :rolleyes:

I totally agree....they are VERY precarious being used as spreaders.

Anyone have any pictures of dismounting a tire from a wooden artillery rim like on my '31 Packard?

If they are anything similar to this '33 DeSoto rim, you will probably just have to use "spoon" wrenches and work the tire off like you would with a wire wheel.

post-37352-14313835299_thumb.jpg

Steve, does this help any?

Howard Dennis

Sure does Howard. For a spare I got a new rim from Universal Tire but it doesn't have a rotating latch like the ones above. The latch on it is just a piece of metal with a hole in it that bolts to the other end of the rim. So I got one of those rim spreaders to use when I mount the new tire on it. Haven't done it yet as I haven't painted the rim. Thanks for the information. I guess I'll give it a try.

Edited by stev1955 (see edit history)

If they are anything similar to this '33 DeSoto rim, you will probably just have to use "spoon" wrenches and work the tire off like you would with a wire wheel.
I have attached a picture of a Packard Wooden Spooked Wheel. Wish mine looked this good. I will have six of them to refinish. :eek:

post-31137-143138353534_thumb.jpg

I have attached a picture of a Packard Wooden Spooked Wheel. Wish mine looked this good. I will have six of them to refinish. :eek:

That looks to be a split rim type wheel. That would be a different process to remove the tire from this one. I believe with this rim, you should be able to let the air out and remove the split ring on the outer edge. The tire and tube will slide off then. BE CERTAIN THAT WHEN YOU REFILL THE TIRE WITH AIR ON THIS TYPE OF WHEEL THAT YOU USE A "CAGE" OR SOMETHING TO KEEP THE SPLIT RING FROM FLYING OFF AND DECAPITATING YOURSELF.

keiser31,

Thanks for the clarification. The more I looked at that photo that is what I thought. And also thanks for the safety tip. I don't have a cage but wondering if one could wrap a chain around it.

keiser31,

Thanks for the clarification. The more I looked at that photo that is what I thought. And also thanks for the safety tip. I don't have a cage but wondering if one could wrap a chain around it.

You can use rope or chain as long as there is no gap large enough to let the split ring fly through it. I always tap all around the split ring as I fill with air so as to seat the ring securely. You might also make a "test inflation" where you leave the valve stem core out and inflate to seat the ring. Once the ring is seated properly, replace the core and fill with air. You may hear popping noises as the ring seats.