A funny comment at Hershey.

Shop Rat

Before judging started the lady that had been my Team Captain at the Blacksburg meet and I were catching up on our lives since then. And she started telling me about the 1984 BMW that she had purchased from the car corral on Friday. And asking me about our 1974 Mercedes Benz 450SL that I had told her about at Blacksburg.

One of the guys from my team was taking all this in and says to us, "Were the two of you struck by lightning or something? I can't get my wife to even come to a car show, much less talk about cars". :rolleyes::D

She has been turning wrenches at her dad's repair shop since she was nine and I was like my dad's "third son" since I was the one, not my two older brothers, that helped Dad with car and other projects that required a helper. Our nails aren't painted ;), and they might have some grease under them :rolleyes:, but we can still make guys wish their wives were more like us. :D

Guest quadfins

I am hoping to encourage Vivian in this direction. So far, due to the way she has been treated by AACA members at some recent shows, she seems to be a convert. Now if I can just get her to stay under the car for more than a few minutes at a time...

Jim

Hi Susan it was great meeting you, Matt and Novaman at Hershey. My wife is not much of a car person either however she is beginning to attend some shows with me, it is a start. Wasn't it a great Hershey week a little rain in the beginning but the rest of the week was great. I never did run into Wanye and checked that membership booth several times. Take care Susan.

Ron, It was so nice of you to look me up after the judge's breakfast. As luck would have it we had our own DFer meeting with you, me, novaman and MC (Matt) Hinson. :D I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know you. I hope to see you again next year at several shows. :)

Guest billybird

Thank God for good women! My wife has always helped me with anything car related I asked her to. Also, she has never given me any grief over my automotive hobby. This summer she even pulled my car to Louisville AND back to N.C.! My two daughters, ages 14&11 care nothing about old cars. We don't have any sons. However, my oldest will help me If I need her. She's very lean and easily does under dash work, saving Dad's back!

My wife doesn't come to the meets either, but she did chair the tours and the awards banquet at our meet last June.

But she has actually asked to drive the ladder truck (which I let her) so I've come a long way after being in trouble for bringing a ladder truck home.

Steps in the right direction for sure.

I think that some ladies might be intimidated by the hobby in a way, thinking (wrongly) that it is a hobby for guys. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I know of one lady that drives from New York to meets by herself to judge. Her husband has no interest, her "gal friends" think she has lost her mind. I was her Team Captain when she was first judging and she was very eager to learn the ropes. I have since run into her and she has now been a Team Captain herself on several occasions.

Not once in judging or being a Team Captain or a Deputy Chief (that postion has been done away with) have I ever been treated with any disrespect or indication that women were not welcome. Quite to opposite in fact. :)

I love it that Cherrie goes with me to swap meets and junk yards. She even spots MoPar parts now!! She ALWAYS heads for the "$1.00 boxes". We ALWAYS have fun...even in the Portland Swap Meet downpours. I am very convinced that she could navigate the Hershey mud with the best of us.