Flathead 6 Serial Number

Guest MelJan

I have a 1938 Dodge Business Coupe D10 (Cdn version), and recently picked up a couple of old flathead motors for rebuilding. The serial number on one of the blocks is C22C2765. Another tag on the head is IND2511205C.

Can anyone give me any information on year, or how I can track down some info on these motors?

Thanks

Guest DodgeKCL

Did not Dodge stop making an Eight in 1932? This 'C2' would have to be a Chrysler 8 in 1936? If it's a 6 it will have to be something else. I agree with the 'IND' is a late model industrial version.

Did not Dodge stop making an Eight in 1932? This 'C2' would have to be a Chrysler 8 in 1936? If it's a 6 it will have to be something else. I agree with the 'IND' is a late model industrial version.

Yep...sorry...that was a mis-read on my part. I sometimes get too anxious in answering a question that I do not read close enough.

IND251 is an industrial engine of 251 cu in displacement. This is the same engine as used by Chrysler and DeSoto in the early 50s. Cylinders sleeved with hard chrome sleeves and other heavy duty improvements. Possibly the full flow oiling system too. If the oil filter is in a tower bolted to the block it's the full flow model, a real score.

Is there a plate rivetted to the right side of the block or is the number off the stamped pad on the left front of the block?

The C22 prefix indicates a 1939 Chrysler Windsor or Royal engine. This is the same block design as the other engine but 241 cu in. It has the same 4 1/2" stroke but only a 3 3/8 bore. This block can safely be bored to 3 7/16, like the later Chrysler and DeSoto and use standard size pistons. Then it will have the same 251 cu in displacement as the other engine.

This one should have the partial flow oil filter with separate oil pipes. A good engine but not as heavy duty as the industrial model.

Either of these will fit into any Canadian made, 6 cylinder Plymouth Dodge DeSoto or Chrysler from 1938 to 1959.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 9 years later...

Hi folks - it’s been a long time since I had the time to tackle this project.  Here are a few pics of what I am up against.  Any hints of the year would be appreciated, and any tips or tricks I should be aware of before getting too far also appreciated.  

I have multiple carbs, distributors, fuel pumps, etc that were in the box of goodies that came with the motors.  They sat outside in the rain for a number of years, so even though I am hopeful, there is probably only a slim chance of success.

thanks

4A4E5C77-C6FA-461A-93BD-E5D4D3B47E73.jpeg

708853C5-4029-4892-A9E9-4BDFEC84DB87.jpeg

F6ABD17D-E32B-4DE1-A267-AE9A8AED692D.jpeg

48C644B0-99CF-4EA6-91BD-D2065CF9E457.jpeg

1 hour ago, '38 Dodge Mel said:

Hi folks - it’s been a long time since I had the time to tackle this project.  Here are a few pics of what I am up against.  Any hints of the year would be appreciated, and any tips or tricks I should be aware of before getting too far also appreciated.  

I have multiple carbs, distributors, fuel pumps, etc that were in the box of goodies that came with the motors.  They sat outside in the rain for a number of years, so even though I am hopeful, there is probably only a slim chance of success.

thanks

4A4E5C77-C6FA-461A-93BD-E5D4D3B47E73.jpeg

708853C5-4029-4892-A9E9-4BDFEC84DB87.jpeg

F6ABD17D-E32B-4DE1-A267-AE9A8AED692D.jpeg

48C644B0-99CF-4EA6-91BD-D2065CF9E457.jpeg

As you can tell from my other reply to your request, I have learned a bit since this thread was posted back in September of 2010. Disregard what I posted above. Rusty knows his stuff.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for letting me know.  I think I will continue to play with the C22C that I am currently trying to restore as it was built in 1939 at the Canadian plant in Windsor, Ont like my Dodge was albeit in 1938.  If I find that the engine is unrepairable then I will keep the engine the car currently has in it since it’s running without any issues.  Cheers.