Almost gave up on a swapmeet

junkyardjeff

I have been attending the Hoosier swapmeet in Indy for over 30 years and have seen its decline during the last few years and was not going to attend this year,well I could not give up going and I am glad I did go as I found something I have been lookin for. My 37 Chevy p/u never came with interior sunvisors and I found one that looks almost perod correct for 3 dollars and found a set of V8 motor mounts for a friends 70 Toriono for 10 dollars so I am very glad I went even though those were the only parts I came home with,even if I only came home with the sunvisor I consider it a good day and a bad day at a swapmeet is better then a good day at work so I will go back next year.

Hi Jeff, I went too and was again disappointed at the decline. If it were any further away I might have stayed home, as I did in the spring. But I am with you, it was a beautiful day and I was happy to go and intend to be back.

But it seems that once a meet begins a decline it is very hard to get people to come back, both vendors and spectators. In this case I do not think the admission fee is a problem, the problem is losing vendors and can only be due to people not buying enough to keep them interested. What do you think could be done? Better advertising? I really do not know, Todd C

I think advertising is the problem,when I got Hemmings it was only listed for one month and it was usually the month before and I have only seen it listed in one other magazine and it was not one I usually buy. I think alot of the older vendors have died off or not in good enough shape to set up any more and the younger crowd just does not want to do it, I was tempted to find who was in charge and have a little talk with them but after I found the parts I forgot all about that but hope to do it next year. If they would advertise it more I think it would come back some.

I am guilty of buying many parts off ebay but I would have never found them at any local swapmeets since they were from across the country,I still am not going to give up on the local swapmeets but they are not like they used to.

I can say that I have found Pontiac parts on Ebay that I have never seen at 30 years of swap meets. It has been a tremendous asset for the hobbyist.

But I hate that the swap meets are in decline. Nothing better than walking the aisles on a crisp fall morning looking at car parts right there in front of you with no tax or shipping, ready for cash and carry. Todd

I have found some parts on ebay I seen at swapmeets 30 years ago but not since put paid a bunch more and happy to get them,I first seen the 36 chevy car glove box with the clock and ash tray that will work on 37/38 trucks at the Hoosier swapmeet when it was still at the track for 75 dollars but considered it way too high. I got one off ebay for around 300 dollars which was cheaper then what they had previously went for,I never seen one at a swapmeet since and always looked but I am glad I did get a computer and found ebay or I would still be looking.