1922 WATER PUMP/STARTER SHAFT ASSY...HOW TO REMOVE?

Guest buicksRus

Guest buicksRus

Hello again,

I was curious if someone had a diagram or if someone could just explain the proper procedure for removing the water pump and generator/starter assembly? I noticed two (what appeared to be locking pins) driven into the ...side of the main shaft just before the starter...I assume that the shaft will free up once the pin is driven through but im not sure because it didnt even budge when i hit it with a punch. anyway I figured I'd get some professional advice before i break something lol so if anyone knows the proper way to remove the whole assembly I would greatly appreciate it!

100_1380.jpg

Rus, this is a "I think", as in I have never done it. But I believe the other pin is located under the big nut on the right of the engine at the timing cover. Yes, the split pins are usually in there really hard, and probably rusted solid. I would use some Kroil or whatever you have to help with their removal. I used the end of a old drill bit of the approximate size to drive mine out.

Oh, I also remember someone said that you have to remove the little cover from the starter generator to get that piece of the shaft to slip out.

Anyway, I know that this is not much help, it will be interesting to find out how to do it as I am planning to have mine sent off this winter to have sealed bearing put in. I am really tried to it leaking all the time.

The end of the shaft is a drive for the gen. 1st remove the small cover on the back of the gen/starter, then drive out the lock pin , (support the shaft when driving out the pin ). Then

move the coupling back toward the water pump. Remove the cover on the flywheel housing

(over the stater gears), then the bolts for the gen/starter, and remove gen/starter.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Guest buicksRus

Awesome! you guys rock! I figured that pin had to come out but it was so seized that it made me second guess myself. I will give it a try!

Thanks

PS. unimogjohn... you mentioned sealed bearings? that sounds interesting...what is the process for converting? machine it out? and what bearings do they use? I was considering having that done for the main bearings and the rod bearings to adapt to modern bearing sizes...

Rus, I have been told that Arthur Gould Ft. Salonga, NY (Long Island) 631-754-5010 is a very good rebuilder of pumps. He has advertised in the AACA magazine. I was planning to call him in the winter about mine. Let us know what you find out.

I have not heard of anyone going with modern bearings in their engine.

• 2 weeks later...

hi rus. i have a 24 6 45. your pictures look similar to my 24. ive been working to restore it for past 6 months. i have a pin in the main shaft to the right of the pump.i ground the head then punched it out.did not use the drill,but what do i know. i wasnt sure of the pump, so i sent it to arthur gould in n.y. he did a great job.i also sent the generator motor out to lansing mich. for a rebuild. brushes were shot and coils were not up to par my 24 hasnt run in 10 years. best of luck on your endeaver. what a pretty car

Guest buicksRus

Thanks guys! I was able to get the starter/gen off but I couldn't get the impeller housing or even the impeller for that matter because the pin that holds the impeller in place on the shaft is pretty rusty and the work angle is horrible! She just needs a little more elbow grease and im sure ill get it... but that leads me to the next question....how do i get front portion of the shaft out? the one that has the gear on the end?