Strange Things Happened to my Reatta Today..

ossenfort

While driving my Reatta today, two strange things happened:

1. Parking lights stay on while driving (day time driving lights!); light switch works on and off to turn off the parking lights (and on) when car is not running and when the key is on the "on" position....turns on automatically when car is running.

2. While ready to put my top up, the tonneau cover switch would not engage the cover to open.

I figured I might have had a computer glitch so I disconnected the battery but it did not solve the problems. Suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks

On the first issue, while this may seem a stupidly obvious question, do you have the fog lamps turned on? The parking lamps will illuminate anytime the fog lamps are on, but the fog lamps are killed when the ignition is off. Thus, the parking lamps will turn on and off with the ignition if the fog lamps are on. Using the parking lamp switch will turn on the parking lamps whether the car is on or off. If this isn't it then it may be a relay issue.

Not sure what to suggest on problem #2, 'verts are not my area of expertise. If I were to guess, maybe an interlock is not "making" preventing the switch from performing it's intended function. Sure someone else here with drop top expertise will chime in.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

There is an interlock between the tonneau cover and the trunk lid. Trunk light switch needs to send trunk closed signal and the gear selector needs to be in park or neutral for the tonneau switch to open the cover.

There are several relays involved as well that could be the problem too.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Does the inside trunk release mean the manual release?

Does the button in the glove box open the trunk?

How about the keyless entry trunk button on the remote?

McReatta,

Does the inside trunk release mean the manual release? Are there two releases, one for the glove box and another? The trunk key does not open the trunk, the key turns to the right but does not click the trunk open.

Does the button in the glove box open the trunk? Yes, the only way the trunk opens is if the glove box release is pressed.

How about the keyless entry trunk button on the remote? No, does not work with the remote.

Thanks so much for your help!

Guest Mc_Reatta

Ken,

Does your trunk light work?

Do the other functions of the keyless entry remote work?

All three electronic ways to open the trunk get their power from a different source and route it differently until they meet at the trunk release relay. The fact that one of the methods works means from the relay on is working fine.

So the other two have either a power issue, aren't switching, or a connection to the trunk release relay issue.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Trunk key switch and the trunk light get their power from body fuse #2 in the fuse block

Keyless entry gets its power from fuse #3 in the interior relay center.

If replacing the trunk light be sure to check the socket for the number of connections and get the right bulb. Mine has a double contact bayonet Base #1004 and not a single contact #1003.

The wrong bulb in an eroded socket can ruin your whole day

ps owners manual says 1003 but I have never seen a 90 Reatta with a single contact trunk bulb socket. Might have been a running change since mine are late production. Anyone have a '90 (coupe or 'vert) with a single contact trunk light socket ?

ps see this thread

Edited by padgett
correct bulb number may be 1004 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

It turned out to be a loose connection in the huge bundle of wiring behind the right rear speaker housing; everything behind the seats was taken out. I suspect since these convertibles are getting over 20 years old, more and more wiring problems will occur.

Cheers

... ps owners manual says 1003 but I have never seen a 90 Reatta with a single contact trunk bulb socket. Might have been a running change since mine are late production. Anyone have a '90 (coupe or 'vert) with a single contact trunk light socket ?

This should probably be in a new thread, but, drifting onwards...

There are light bulb specification errors in both the owners manual and FSM. I started to make up a spreadsheet documenting the errors a while back, but have not completed checking which bulbs are actually in the car. Once completed, this would be a valuable thing to add to Ronnies site.

Of course my car has H4 headlights instead of 6054 sealed beams. And the FSM incorrectly says they should be 9004s... So I would lose a point or two in the 400 point contest. (Though I would maintain they are safety improvements. Like putting seat belts in a pre-1960 car.)