Alaska to Lower 48; Anybody Transported a Car?

Guest BJM

I am looking at a fairly rare and interesting car for sale north of Anchorage Alaska. Does anyone have any experience purchasing then transporting the car to the lower 48?

Thanks

And don't forget the need now for a passport to get back in from Canada. A friend of ours just got one for herself and one for each of her young kids. The price has gone up, I think she told me July 17th was the day the price went up. Also they told her that folks should count on the full six weeks now to get a passport. I think there have been some changes since she first applied.

Edited by Shop Rat
Fix a type-o. (see edit history)

Thanks. I was thinking more of getting it transported. Has anybody used a transporter? Probably 99.9% sure the answer is no. I wonder if they even have an old car culture up there?

Thank you Susan.

Let's see, maybe somebody is coming to Hershey, which you go right by Iowa. :D and can bring my basket case to me. Ha. For a substantial fee of course.

How about the new increased fees for passports. Starting at $165.00 for adults 16 & over

Adult First Time Applicants (Age 16 Years and Older) What Are You Applying For?

Application Fee Payment Instructions

Execution Fee Payment Instructions Use Form

Adult Passport Book & Card$140+$25 DS-11

Adult Passport Book$110+$25 DS-11

Adult Passport Card If you do NOT currently hold a valid Passport Book or Card$30+$25 DS-11

All first time applicants must apply in person at a Passport Agency, Acceptance Facility, U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Thank you Susan.

Let's see, maybe somebody is coming to Hershey, which you go right by Iowa. :D and can bring my basket case to me. Ha. For a substantial fee of course.

I was kind of thinkin' that someone in one of those clubs might have used a transport that they would recommend, or tell you to stay away from.

But Mr. Earl's idea of contacting Ice Road Truckers would be interesting to say the least. You just hope they whole thing doesn't sink in the lake. :eek:

Speaking of passports, wife and I finally got our pictures taken. Got the applications on line, completed them, took them, our birth certificates and driver's licenses to the local probate court. Signed the applications in front of the clerk and wrote a check for $200. That was on Thursday, June 3 and the passports arrived on Monday, June 21. We did not pay for expedited delivery, either. Passports were $75 apiece and $25 each went to the probate court for "processing."

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Hey, we have a surprisingly active "old car culture" way up here in Alaska! Our museum has transported over 60 cars here from (and a few to) the lesser 48, most of them through Canada with Bats Motorsports. A number of folks in the Fairbanks car club have trailered cars to Alaska as well. Willy Vinton, our museum manager, would be happy to answer your questions: museum@fdifairbanks.com

And, we'll be at Hershey, but we're taking a plane...

Thanks very much Nancy. I will initiate contact with the seller and see what he says then call your man and other contacts.