1957 Buick Heater Core Removal Question

buick man

Is there anyone out there that has removed a 1957 heater core in the easiest way possible.

Now I have what I believe to be a very comprehensive set of both 1957 Buick factory chassis manuals and vintage 1957 era shop manuals. No where does any of them address the specific removal of the heater core. Does one access it through and under the front passenger's fender or remove the dash pads inside or a combination of both? I could remove everything and then find out how to do it but I thought someone on the planet may have done this before and would have some time saving pointers.

David

Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

It has been a while, but this what I remember. Jack the right front, remove the wheel, remove the inner fender liner over the heater core housing. (Note the two screws at the bottom of the fender, they usually are rusted in place.) Drain the heater hoses/radiator. Remove the blower duct. From inside the car, remove the kick panel. From the inside, remove the screws from the perimeter of the core housing. Back under the fender, remove the outer housing shell. You now have access to the heater core. Dan

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced mine in my 57, and I removed the entire fender. If it is possible by removing the inner fender portion only then do it, but I didn't even attempt that. There are some screws at the top and screws holding the vent on that would seem to be damn near impossible to get at from underneath.

I also removed the inner kick panel to get to the screws on the inside, and even removed the glovebox, 2 gain sight and arm access to 2 screws near the floorboard inside.

Hope this helps! It's not a fun job, but if you have the time it's worth it in the end!